E: Engine Big bore Comet

Clive Harrison

Forum User
VOC Member
I have a 600cc Comet. The engine was built by Bob Dunn. It has Pazon ignition for big bore, Mikuni carb and AMC gearbox. I can’t kickstart it for love nor money. It starts immediately on the rollers, runs lovely and ticks over like a clock. Anybody got any ideas? Or is it a matter of lowering the compression or fitting an electric starter?

Comet Rider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Clive,
I'm not 100% sure but I think that you are not spinning the engine quick enough for the Pazon.
On my 580 Comet on traditional coil I can start it with a single prod, admittedly it still has the Burman

Neil

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Clive,
Can't you get it kicked through compression or not quick enough?

Maybe put an Harley decompression plug in ??

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Once a Comet is just over compression, What's to stop it being kicked over ?,
I don't have a valve lifter on my Old Comet, Just roll it back on compression,
Take it out of gear and kick.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Might have to treat it like a Velo Thruxton. Roll it past compression the right amount and then give a good boot. It too a while to get on to that. There is a 636 Comet with high compression around here that requires that treatment on a BT-H ignition. With the right technique it was a good starter for me, but the owner still had some difficulty.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Try rolling it backwards in 2nd gear until it bumps up against compression, then neutral and big kick.This is similar to Roberts advice with compression release, except it seems to put you in exactly the optimum starting spot every time.
As a 12 year old kid this method worked best to kick start my first bike, a Norton 500 single.

Glen

Clive Harrison

Forum User
VOC Member
I feel I may have a monster on my hands. Once it’s just over Compression the Kickstart on the AMC box doesn’t turn the engine over fast or far enough to start the engine. To fit an electric starter I would have to remove the belt drive and AMC box. I can occasionally kick it up but it’s a case of luck!

Clive Harrison

Forum User
VOC Member
Try rolling it backwards in 2nd gear until it bumps up against compression, then neutral and big kick.This is similar to Roberts advice with compression release, except it seems to put you in exactly the optimum starting spot every time.
As a 12 year old kid this method worked best to kick start my first bike, a Norton 500 single.

Glen
I’ll try that in the morning, I used to start my Goldie like that until I fitted electric ignition now it kicks up with ease!