E: Engine Big bore Comet

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The Pazon literature says the static timing is 5° , so you recommend advancing it a couple of degrees? I’ll try it and hope it doesn’t launch me!
No, I'd recommend retarding it a couple of degrees. What we need is the sort of vernier adjustments that 1960's Lucas car distributors had.

Clive Harrison

Forum User
VOC Member
I have just dragged my Commando out of the garage and the Production Racer kickstart measures 235mm from the spindle centre to the centre of the foot piece. What does your RGM one measure?

It has made a big difference in reducing the amount of effort to kickstart the bike.

I’ve taken out a mortgage and ordered one. Thanks for advise I hope it works.

b'knighted

VOC Member
Could you kickstart it with the ignition retarded? How much did you retard it?
Is it better to have a bike that you can't start which would run brilliantly if you could start it, or one that fires up but only likes legal speeds?
Seriously, could you fit some sort of manual retard for starting, perhaps slotting the ‘magneto‘ mounting holes and having the body sprung to running position with the springs compressed to a starting retard position? We are only talking about two or three degrees of engine retard which only needs half of that at the mag body.

Cyborg

VOC Member
If anyone is shopping for an ignition system for a modified engine, Power Arc might be a good option. You can purchase the necessary adapter so you can program it yourself. It also holds 4 maps and you can switch them on the fly if you wish. Either manually or with a VOS.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I’ve taken out a mortgage and ordered one. Thanks for advise I hope it works.
How does the PR kicker compare in length to the RGM kicker?
Just curious as I need a kickstart for a hi compression 920, might be worthwhile getting the AN item, even if it requires a mortgage.

Glen