E: Engine Big bore Comet

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have just fitted a new Pazon to my 650 Triumph, now because these units have a justifiable fine reputation I just fitted it and what I should have done is do a bench test on the unit itself before fitting. Its simple enough with a few crocodile leads and a battery . After fitting to the bike what I found was the plugs sparked once when I turned the ignition on but not when I touched the trigger leads together. So off it all had to come and then set up back to a simple bench test same result=faulty unit.
As for starting a Big Comet I have an road Egli Comet I fitted one of my race engines into, its not easy to start (AMC box) and I am not getting any younger. I am about to revisit improving its starting with a view to perhaps selling next year. The embarrassing thing is I built it up some time ago, I am pretty certain its a big bore engine it certainly feels like it but I cant think of an easy way to check without stripping it, any non messy ideas? angled rods through the plug hole are inconclusive :oops:

Clive Harrison

Forum User
VOC Member
This is the RGM kickstart I’ve got on.

Attachments

• 4D57F2D6-C20F-4C97-998F-199C947C7443.jpeg
    4D57F2D6-C20F-4C97-998F-199C947C7443.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 39

Black Flash

VOC Member
Hmm,
I have the same combination as you have. I found that the internal gearing of the AMC kickstart is diferent from a Burman box. I ease the engine over compression. then slowly put the kickstart down 3/4 of its travel.
let the kickstart come up again and give it a good hefty kick.
If I try it without the lowering, just after the piston got past tdc, I rarely succed in starting the bike.

Normski

Non-VOC Member
I have just fitted a new Pazon to my 650 Triumph, now because these units have a justifiable fine reputation I just fitted it and what I should have done is do a bench test on the unit itself before fitting. Its simple enough with a few crocodile leads and a battery . After fitting to the bike what I found was the plugs sparked once when I turned the ignition on but not when I touched the trigger leads together. So off it all had to come and then set up back to a simple bench test same result=faulty unit.
As for starting a Big Comet I have an road Egli Comet I fitted one of my race engines into, its not easy to start (AMC box) and I am not getting any younger. I am about to revisit improving its starting with a view to perhaps selling next year. The embarrassing thing is I built it up some time ago, I am pretty certain its a big bore engine it certainly feels like it but I cant think of an easy way to check without stripping it, any non messy ideas? angled rods through the plug hole are inconclusive :oops:
I’m struggling to understand why the Pazon would spark when you touch the trigger leads together? Is this a characteristic of Pazon? I’ve got one here on a Constellation and it uses the same style magnet and coil pick ups as Boyer and that would presumably need some movement of magnet relative to coil to trigger a spark.

vibrac

VOC Member
The trigger lead touching produces a spark this is one of the key reasons I like pazon its easy to test its just a pity I did not hook it all up & test before putting it on bike
Quote:

Most Smart-Fire ignition modules can be triggered manually, to produce sparks at the plug(s) without turning the engine.
Disconnect the Violet-Red and White-Black wires from the ignition trigger connector terminal block.
Switch the ignition on.
Take these trigger wires, touch together and open, approximately 1-2 times per second.
The minimum trigger rate can vary depending on the module type.
Each time you make and break these two wires there should be a spark at the plug(s), but note that there may not be a spark the first 1-2 times you do this, when the ignition module is energising the coil(s).

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
This is the RGM kickstart I’ve got on.

I have just dragged my Commando out of the garage and the Production Racer kickstart measures 235mm from the spindle centre to the centre of the foot piece. What does your RGM one measure?

It has made a big difference in reducing the amount of effort to kickstart the bike.

Last edited: