upload_2017-3-31_8-18-58.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-31_8-17-55.png
    upload_2017-3-31_8-17-55.png
    165.4 KB · Views: 7

Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Mine has Bramptons that were plated along with the RFM. The plating will probably stay for now. Trying to focus on getting it to be a reliable road bike, so some of the painting will have to come later.

As a slightly off topic aside, I know your Rapide was imported by Prairie motorcycles, as was mine, and it also had chrome plated Bramptons that were so unsightly that I roughed up and painted them. Not plated from new I am sure, but an interesting coincidence. Probably not the greatest thing to do to Bramptons.

Cyborg

VOC Member
If you put a bend in the stay ?, Would that make the hole lower ?, Or would it take too much. Cheers Bill.
Thank you Bill. I had a quick look and that may be an option. It already has a couple of bends in it, so perhaps with a bit of tweaking that might work. Good idea anyway. Not sure why I didn't think of that... I'll blame it on the fact that I'm preoccupied with the timing chest.. then again due to age, my IQ is approaching my hat size.

Cyborg

VOC Member
As a slightly off topic aside, I know your Rapide was imported by Prairie motorcycles, as was mine, and it also had chrome plated Bramptons that were so unsightly that I roughed up and painted them. Not plated from new I am sure, but an interesting coincidence. Probably not the greatest thing to do to Bramptons.
Yes, I can't say that I'm thrilled. It would be interesting to know more about the history of this one. When I started cleaning up the oil tank, I found a fellows name inscribed on it. Turns out he worked at a now defunct motorcycle shop where I got my "auspicious" start to fixing motorcycles. I remember Vincents being there, but I think this one, along with the fellow that worked on it were long gone already. I'll be back that way later this summer and will see if I can track down more info. I'll let you know if I can shed any light on when the plating was done.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Just for future reference, I stopped by Robert's and had a look at the rear inner fender stays from the original unmolested B with steel guards that he has in his shop. The stays are the same as the ones for the alloy fenders except they are shorter at the top and the upper hole in the stay is drilled lower down... so presumably would line up with the holes in my guards. I took photos of both, unfortunately not side by side, but you can see mine (painted black) are longer. I can just trim my stays and drill new holes.
Rear inner stays.jpg
Rear inner stays 2.jpg

vibrac

VOC Member
I had to make the stays for my 52 TR5 trophy from scratch with cerrobend and a squeese jig made from two slabs of alloy and a part drilled hole between the slabs with curves round wood forrners supprisingly easy

Cyborg

VOC Member
I had to make the stays for my 52 TR5 trophy from scratch with cerrobend and a squeese jig made from two slabs of alloy and a part drilled hole between the slabs with curves round wood forrners supprisingly easy
I've found that using cerrobend is fun. I haven't used it for stays, but strangle enough I was awake in the middle of the night (last night) thinking about it. I did make this a while ago for holding a Norton cam bevel gear, so I could remove the nut that was cranked on to about 60 ft lbs. It's a Honda sprocket holder cast in there. Just used a soup tin, sockets, and a gear partly buried in borax laundry soap to keep the metal from running back in behind the gear to encapsulate it. Sounds kind of mickey mouse, but wasn't sure it would work, so didn't invest much in setup. Worked well.
Holder copy.jpg