B Touring Fender Stay holes

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have Bramptons, so I need FT237. Anyone know if the FT237 was used for both alloy and steel fenders (as in same dimensions).
I would imagine the FT237 in stock are alloy, so maybe I will have to drag myself out into the daylight and head over to Robert's for measurements and make my own.
Even if this does take longer than an engine build, at least it's a refreshing change from that dreaded timing chest. The new cams finally arrived from Antipodes by way of camel and dog sled. Apparently this now allows me to determine if it's my cam pinion or steel idler that is shite.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Oh well...
I found a piece of MS stock that is the same dimension/gauge. So on a set of bramptons with a steel fender, can anyone tell me what the distance is between the centre of the mounting lug hole on the forks and the top surface of the fender?

The parts book looks to me like it indicates that a FT237 goes on either side of the lug. Is this correct?

I wondered about one plain bolt and nut holding everything together, until I stared at it long enough to figure out that there is supposed to be a grease nipple in the balance beam and that seized bushing is supposed to turn in the beam and not on the bolt.

davidd

VOC Member
I am not sure, but I thought they were at different angles, the front one being at 90° and the rear being more than 90°. I usually fit a small piece of aluminum, like roof flashing, to get a template of the angle. I can then bend the piece to the template.

David

Steve G

Non-VOC Member
They are at different angles and will fracture if not installed correctly. Ask me how I know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyborg

VOC Member
I am not sure, but I thought they were at different angles, the front one being at 90° and the rear being more than 90°. I usually fit a small piece of aluminum, like roof flashing, to get a template of the angle. I can then bend the piece to the template.

David
Thanks, You are correct. While you were writing that, I made a pair that I may or may not use for the final assembly. I had to bend them at two different angles to get the to follow the curvature of the fender. They turned out ok, but I may need shorter ones depending how things look once I get the wheel on there and adjust the stays. Just need to true the new front rim (hope it's not as wonky at the weld as the rear rim was) and figure out what 19" tyre to put on.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Another question about holes in steel fenders. I plan on welding up the one in the side of the rear flap. Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't... or what it might have been for?
Fender hole.jpg