B Touring Fender Stay holes

Hugo Myatt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Another question about holes in steel fenders. I plan on welding up the one in the side of the rear flap. Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't... or what it might have been for?
View attachment 16072
Hole! It aint supposed to be there. A word of warning to those fitting touring guards for the first time. There are some amateurish looking dents in the guards. These are original and supposed to be there to accomodate the stays on the front guard and the RFM tubes on the rear guard. I once had a pair of NOS touring guards and sent them away to be enamelled. The nice painter kindly knocked out all the dents and then enamelled the guards!

Cyborg

VOC Member
Hole! It aint supposed to be there. A word of warning to those fitting touring guards for the first time. There are some amateurish looking dents in the guards. These are original and supposed to be there to accomodate the stays on the front guard and the RFM tubes on the rear guard. I once had a pair of NOS touring guards and sent them away to be enamelled. The nice painter kindly knocked out all the dents and then enamelled the guards!

Thanks and yes, I'm mounting them first, so I can make sure all the holes line up. This will also allow me to confirm what dents are supposed to be there. I also plan on painting the fenders myself, because I have a phobia about sending anything out for work.

Steve G

Non-VOC Member
Anyone have photos to share of the above mentioned "dents" as they are meant to look? I believe my mudguards have been re-worked by an amateur and may not be correct. Would like to compare to known originals if possible.

davidd

VOC Member
Maybe Hugo could confirm this. Warning: this is a Comet touring fender. The chain guard is on the clutch side

DSCN1254.JPG

The dents are clearance for the RFM. There is only one dent on this side because there is no need for a lower dent because the chain guard relief takes away the need. Thus, the dent in the center is for the upper part of the RFM. If this were a twin mudguard it would need another dent down towards the bottom front of the mudguard.
DSCN1249.JPG

The other side. The Comet has no chain on this side. It shows the two dents you need for the RFM. The hole below the dent is the lower mudguard mount bolt hole.
DSCN1256.JPG

You can see how the mudguard is waisted at the lower swing arm. The upper mounting hole was not drilled in this mudguard for some reason.
DSCN1255.JPG

This is the waist necessary for the upper part of the RFM.

Obviously, you have to fit your own RFM to get the proper clearance, but you can see by the photos that the dents are not small.

David

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Maybe Hugo could confirm this. Warning: this is a Comet touring fender. The chain guard is on the clutch side

View attachment 16082
The dents are clearance for the RFM. There is only one dent on this side because there is no need for a lower dent because the chain guard relief takes away the need. Thus, the dent in the center is for the upper part of the RFM. If this were a twin mudguard it would need another dent down towards the bottom front of the mudguard.
View attachment 16079
The other side. The Comet has no chain on this side. It shows the two dents you need for the RFM. The hole below the dent is the lower mudguard mount bolt hole.
View attachment 16080
You can see how the mudguard is waisted at the lower swing arm. The upper mounting hole was not drilled in this mudguard for some reason.
View attachment 16081
This is the waist necessary for the upper part of the RFM.

Obviously, you have to fit your own RFM to get the proper clearance, but you can see by the photos that the dents are not small.

David

Yup, those are the dents referred to. The front mudguard has similar, though less pronounced ones, adjacent to where the stays cross over the guard.
I too have an unused Comet NOS rear mudguard but my attempts at photographing it and transferring pictures to the forum have been a dismal failure.
Without the 'dents' it is very difficult to get the guards to make a snug fit and give sufficient clearance to the tyre.

Hugo

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
PS. The rear touring guard does not have the continuous strengthening strip FT 152 so there is no hole for the setscrew in the guard between the central upright stays. However it is probably wise to use an abreviated one where the mudguard attaches directly to the RFM at the front and possibly at the hinge.

Hugo

Albervin

VOC Member
This is a great thread for when I finally see my C HRD Touring Shadow, all of these dents, furrows and holes. A whole new world after 34 years of Sport Vincents. Of course, mine will HAVE to be different:-(

Cyborg

VOC Member
Thanks Ian, Good to know. Thanks for not banishing me.
The dent shown in Davidd's last photo looks more pronounced than mine, but this fender is not original to the bike and hasn't been fitted yet. It may require some more persuasion. My front fender doesn't have any dents (other than the indents to clear the forks)and it looks as though the stays will fit without any.
I haven't fitted a front tyre yet, so not sure about clearance without dents for the stays.

Rear fender dents.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

davidd

VOC Member
I did not notice pronounced dents in the front mudguard, but the lesson here is that the mudguards, stays, fork frame and chain guard need more than an introduction. A complete dry build seems advisable prior to painting.

David