• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

An antidote to panniers

vibrac

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
I was going to post this on the pannier thread but thought it a bit cheeky, Panniers on my Vincent have never been a great requirement of mine I have said it before but its worth repeating what we need is a good tank top bag system. Unfortunately not only are we tank toppers in a minority, the cost of joining Baglux with a Vincent pattern is too high, and even the modified moto Guzzi route is costly (Since I don't know what MG one it was I don't know if the pattern nearest to Vincent tank shape is still available) so assuming we cant get a swap between different makes of bikes system going what's the best Vincent tank top solution?

Colin

VOC Member
Hi Glen. As soon as I posted that I realised someone would comment on the panniers on the BMW. The panniers were left EMPTY on the trip, which was a month long tour from England across Europe and down to Greece and back by a different route. It was hot generally but we always rode with proper leathers, helmets, boots, gloves etc. At any stop we simply stuffed all the kit in the empty panniers which were locked to the bike, the , trailer was locked to the bike, and the bike was double locked with a steering lock and a chain which also secured our helmets We could then explore without any clutter. We never had a problem with theft or attempted theft, except someone stole the St Georges flag off the trailer!
BUT I did have my wife on the back, and as anyone knows, women need the odd extra something on any trip! The available space was handy for the odd extra bagette, or absolute bargain from the supermarket ,that simply had to be bought. Who am I to disagree.
Marcus. The trailer was slightly narrower than the BMW and I never had a problem with filtering once I had got used to the extra length. Nor did we have any problems with speed limits. In general we cruised at between 60 and 70 mph depending on roads, what we wanted to see etc. The trailer hitch was obviously of the rotating type and we just cornered and generally rode exactly as we would have done without one. once I had got used to it Braking distances were never a problem, perhaps a fraction longer, and fuel consumption seemed the same at out fairly modest speeds. I am convinced a trailer is much easier all round than a heavily loaded bike, but as a 5feet 6inch, 9 stone lightweight, octogenarian, I would wouldn't I!
We did have two very amusing incidents in Italy ,related to the trailer, and if anyone is really interested I will post it here
Bruce I'll see what I can find, the Egli Hitch was made to be quickly detachable and at the moment is just that------ Detached

Glenliman

VOC Member
Hi Colin
Just kidding on the pannier comment. Looks like you have things worked out very well.
Parking a fully loaded bike with Panniers and Top box can be a bit tricky at times, particularly if one has to inch his way back to the rear stand while balancing the loaded bike. A passenger who can assist in keeping the bike upright is helpful. The Dave Hills type centre stand is perhaps an even bigger help.

I can see that avoiding the whole procedure by using a trailer has its merits.

Glen

Colin

VOC Member
One of the interesting encounters in Italy was meeting Marilena in a petrol station cafe. She was intrigued by the trailer and our trip and insisted on photos with us the bike, trailer etc
Again who am I to disagree, since it is pretty rare for me to be propositioned by attractive young Italian ladies! (Pretty rare???? Once only!!!)

Attachments

• 2010 photos 028.jpg
    2010 photos 028.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 2010 photos 029.jpg
    2010 photos 029.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 2010 photos 027.jpg
    2010 photos 027.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 41

Colin

VOC Member
Ohh 'eck. I notice something has migrated from the trailer onto the rear carrier, clearly something too big for the panniers. It looks like the sleeping bags as we camped and all the way except for ferry crossings

rapcom

VOC Member
In response to the filtering (lane-splitting) question, the real answer is a trailer even narrower than the bike.
As to the speed limit for a motorcycle and trailer, I once inadvertantly overtook a police car on a motorway whilst towing, at a speed significantly in excess of the national limit, and the police officers noticeably "looked the other way" ! I think they immediately realised that the paperwork would be too interesting.
When I built the trailer arrangement, I did actually contact the county police traffic department, and asked about towing limits. They tried to be helpful, but were unable to find any regulations relevant to a monowheel trailer, firmly attached to a universal joint (not a ball hitch), making up part of a single track, three-wheeled vehicle. If I am ever stopped, my argument will be that I am not driving a motorcycle, but a single-track articulated vehicle......

Attachments

• Rapide & Freebird.png
    Rapide & Freebird.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
  • Rapide & Freebird 2.png
    Rapide & Freebird 2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • Rapide & Freebird 3.png
    Rapide & Freebird 3.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:

vin998

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I once had a V5 for a solo that under 'Type' did not have bicycle or motorcycle but articulated single tracko_Oso it must be on some arcane DVLA list
Thats the DVLA for you.
My Shadow when I got it registered came back as a "two wheeled motorcycle combination". I phoned and questioned the DVLA and it wasn't a problem correcting to motocycle but where did that category come from as the guy at DVLA agreeded a motorcycle combination has three wheels & not two.

Simon

Colin

VOC Member
Thats the DVLA for you.
My Shadow when I got it registered came back as a "two wheeled motorcycle combination". I phoned and questioned the DVLA and it wasn't a problem correcting to motocycle but where did that category come from as the guy at DVLA agreeded a motorcycle combination has three wheels & not two.

Simon
Blimey Simon, you must have got the only person in the DVLA who knows ANYTHING about motorbikes, Perhaps the only one who knows anything, about vehicles, period
When I had Siebenrock barrels put on my BMW R80G/S to uprate it from 800cc to 980cc and advised the DVLA I very specifically advised the ENGINE had not been changed only Barrels and pistons as they had been damaged and required replacement. I got a reply back, asking for an engineers report from the engineer who CHANGED the engine and the number or the new engine. I reiterated NO CHANGE OF ENGINE, and the same idiot then asked for a report from the Manufacturer of the NEW engine (it's a 1984 bike just been rebuilt) I then contacted the Complaints Dept to point out NO CHANGE OF ENGINE and the stupid requests, the Complaints Dept then passed my complaint to the fool who had made the demands (NOT requests "you MUST") in the first place!!!. When finally they accepted that the engine was the same just some repairs they asked for a report from an engineer or the Manufacturer that the renovation/repair was satisfactory I gave them the detailed bill from the engineer who did the job for me,and the response was I must have an independant engineer, give the report!!!!!
I complained again to the Chief Executive ,said I had been inconvenienced and put to expense by incompetence and asked for compensation for my excess expenses. I then got a letter from the Complaints Dept effectively saying we don't like paying compensation as it can only come "out of the Public Purse" I did finally get £30, but no such thing as an apology
This was I think my 4th complaint to the DVLA for their staggering incompetence
The problem is you HAVE to deal with them thereis no alternative, they have no competition, and no incentive to improve, despite the crap on the bottom of correspondence "Customer Service Excellence" "Investors in People" Positive about Disabled People" and CSE whatever that is

vibrac

VOC Member
When I put a Triumph engine in my Greves frame one letter said that they did not accept that anyone would produce an engine with 498cc and not 500cc ( I had supplied a dating certificate for the engine -1959) and it was refused. Before I could calm down enough to reply the post man arrived with a v5 go figure!

Latest Forum Threads

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?