An antidote to panniers

Old Bill

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Well time moves on and l now find my latest seniors ( don't laugh ) phone has a magnetic back to attach it to the case, so it would seem previous warnings about magnets and phones, cameras and portable defibrillators has gone out the window. Sadly so has my much loved Lidl tank bag which deceased early this year, not from covid but from acute fatigue syndrome ie F****d. Now replaced with a Kriega us 30 which fits on the pillion seat a treat and gives great support to my coxis area which is a great comfort at this time of life. l am also enjoying being able to turn the bars from lock to lock without sounding the horn or killing the motor via the cut out button, not crushing my thumbs is an added bonus. The biggest joy however is reserved for the petrol/gas station when l no longer have to remove the headstock strap which of course always manages to fall against the hot exhaust pipe which in my rush to pull it from said pipe l invariably manage to singe my leather riding gloves, head butt the petrol/gas tank with my crash helmet, crick my neck and offend all within earshot with blasphemous shouting which mists up the helmet visor. Only real downside is that my twenty something nympho supermodel can no longer perch on said pillion and has ridden of with a hardly ableson dude. Hey ho.....

Colin

VOC Member
Like the two Bills (Old and Thomas) I have a cheap magnetic tank bag from Lldl and it works fine on my Eglis both of which have alloy tanks, so it is always strapped down on to a sheet of non slip plastic mesh.
Never had a problem and never had fuel starvation due to blocking the breather hole

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
What about this Nutter, he loves His Tank Bag, And Ace Bars on Girdraulics !!,
No hope for some :D .
No wonder He was no good at racing !.

Attachments

• IMG_20201111_201450 (2).jpg
    IMG_20201111_201450 (2).jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 59

Old Bill

Non-VOC Member
As a footnote to post 21: one pre covid morning l was proceeding along the queens highway at a steady pace when much to my surprise my late lamented Lidl tank bag got the wind up ( or should that be under ) lifted from the tank and slapped me in the sternum. Being of the press on type l grabbed with my left hand to restrain its off down the road destination, failed miserably and caught sight of it bouncing down the carriageway from my lounge bar end mirror. Shock and awe filled my beating heart as l realised l had failed to secure the burnt, frayed and somewhat knackered head stock strap. Lidl did l think this would prompt me to engineer a novel solution to luggage transportation, however as a member of the two strokes club a solution had to be found so a lash up it had to be. Following the fitment of an auxiliary prop stand which enabled me to deploy said stand from a saddle seated position and to be able to dismount in a Ewan and Charlie fashion ( see Long way round for details ) l looked around for a suitable piece of robust luggage to mount on the pillion seat of my machines, hence the expenditure on a Kriega US 30 which has been my salvation. A word of caution however, due to the way the bag is attached do not place in it your cucumber sandwiches as they will be crushed much like my beloved tank bag beyond all recognition....................

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I don't use anything with the magnets, No straps, And also the magnets have to work through
a tank cover!, Maybe you need more stuff in it, Water, Tools, Spares etc,
Mine is about 20 lbs,
I passed it to my Brother some time ago, And He was shocked.