• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

An antidote to panniers

vibrac

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
I was going to post this on the pannier thread but thought it a bit cheeky, Panniers on my Vincent have never been a great requirement of mine I have said it before but its worth repeating what we need is a good tank top bag system. Unfortunately not only are we tank toppers in a minority, the cost of joining Baglux with a Vincent pattern is too high, and even the modified moto Guzzi route is costly (Since I don't know what MG one it was I don't know if the pattern nearest to Vincent tank shape is still available) so assuming we cant get a swap between different makes of bikes system going what's the best Vincent tank top solution?

Old Bill

VOC Member
Well time moves on and l now find my latest seniors ( don't laugh ) phone has a magnetic back to attach it to the case, so it would seem previous warnings about magnets and phones, cameras and portable defibrillators has gone out the window. Sadly so has my much loved Lidl tank bag which deceased early this year, not from covid but from acute fatigue syndrome ie F****d. Now replaced with a Kriega us 30 which fits on the pillion seat a treat and gives great support to my coxis area which is a great comfort at this time of life. l am also enjoying being able to turn the bars from lock to lock without sounding the horn or killing the motor via the cut out button, not crushing my thumbs is an added bonus. The biggest joy however is reserved for the petrol/gas station when l no longer have to remove the headstock strap which of course always manages to fall against the hot exhaust pipe which in my rush to pull it from said pipe l invariably manage to singe my leather riding gloves, head butt the petrol/gas tank with my crash helmet, crick my neck and offend all within earshot with blasphemous shouting which mists up the helmet visor. Only real downside is that my twenty something nympho supermodel can no longer perch on said pillion and has ridden of with a hardly ableson dude. Hey ho.....

Colin

VOC Member
Like the two Bills (Old and Thomas) I have a cheap magnetic tank bag from Lldl and it works fine on my Eglis both of which have alloy tanks, so it is always strapped down on to a sheet of non slip plastic mesh.
Never had a problem and never had fuel starvation due to blocking the breather hole

Old Bill

VOC Member
As a footnote to post 21: one pre covid morning l was proceeding along the queens highway at a steady pace when much to my surprise my late lamented Lidl tank bag got the wind up ( or should that be under ) lifted from the tank and slapped me in the sternum. Being of the press on type l grabbed with my left hand to restrain its off down the road destination, failed miserably and caught sight of it bouncing down the carriageway from my lounge bar end mirror. Shock and awe filled my beating heart as l realised l had failed to secure the burnt, frayed and somewhat knackered head stock strap. Lidl did l think this would prompt me to engineer a novel solution to luggage transportation, however as a member of the two strokes club a solution had to be found so a lash up it had to be. Following the fitment of an auxiliary prop stand which enabled me to deploy said stand from a saddle seated position and to be able to dismount in a Ewan and Charlie fashion ( see Long way round for details ) l looked around for a suitable piece of robust luggage to mount on the pillion seat of my machines, hence the expenditure on a Kriega US 30 which has been my salvation. A word of caution however, due to the way the bag is attached do not place in it your cucumber sandwiches as they will be crushed much like my beloved tank bag beyond all recognition....................

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I don't use anything with the magnets, No straps, And also the magnets have to work through
a tank cover!, Maybe you need more stuff in it, Water, Tools, Spares etc,
Mine is about 20 lbs,
I passed it to my Brother some time ago, And He was shocked.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
In 1970 about 14 of West London went to IOM, And I spent half my time catching up to Ken,
And telling Him his Stuff was falling off the back !!.
Like Big Ed , I used throw over leather bags and a tank bag,
I could not ride with all that stuff on the back, And some people a passenger ,
Don't know how you get round corners ??.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Always liked the look of the German's set ups when going to the IOM,
Stuck with me ever since, I am sure a Tank Bag must keep you warmer too ?.
But when used on my Blue Racer, I could relax on the back straight, I was a bit Nervous and got
Cramps ?.
Didn't think they would allow it , but they did !.

vibrac

VOC Member
Here is a neat egli baglux/bagster (are they same company?) I snapped in the IOM in I guess 2018. Any ideas what type of bike they were for?
1605173291113.jpeg

Last edited:

Colin

VOC Member
GLEN.
There is one excellent antidote to panniers, which I use on my Godet Egli and an old BMW R100T. It has much greater carrying capacity, only loads the bike by about 10lbs. VERY marginally increases, stopping distances, only very marginally decreases performance, and is instantly detachable
A TRAILER

Attachments

• 2010 photos 004.jpg
    2010 photos 004.jpg
    476.1 KB · Views: 33

Marcus Bowden

VOC Member
Trailering is no fun with the speed limit and one can't filter, now an articulated trailer like Ian Savage had not too wide, filtering can be done and speed up to normal speeds as no restriction.
Panniers !!! made onboard the last ship that came out of Danyard for Chiquita bananas 1992 with the assistance of my fitter who made up the big panniers and frame while I made the small ones which were intended to be fuel tanks of 12 Ltrs each. All within 28"'s so goes through any standard doorway. Ten weeks living off the bike in 1995 NZ trip prooved very adequate for a few days provisions clothes and fuel. On leaving the ship in Bremerhaven I had these on and my small Cravens either side of my front wheel, when arriving at the German Rally Tony Wheetly gave me the nickname of ""panniers"" the side stand was a later addition. 30 seconds by removing four "R" pins will have the panniers off the bike and then it becomes our picnic table sitting on the small panniers and eating off the large with the stove on the S/S framework in the middle.
bananaman.

P1030248.jpg

Robert Watson

VOC Member
You have mostly all seen this before. This was 10 weeks on the bike in Europe in 2010. Never felt anything but comfortable the whole trip and we did absolute minimum of motorway travel. By the way, that picture of some Vancouver Section on the ferry that Glenliman posted was actually not a VOC ride but a CLUC ride. we just happened to be on our Vincents.
The tank bag was a Vancouver made one. It has a "pad" that is strapped to the tank with hole cut out where the oil and fuel fillers are and the bag clips to the pad in 4 places. Fuel stop involves two clips to snap open and stand the bag up on the seat.

grossglockner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Forum Threads

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?