Advantage in drilled cam gears ET157/1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

riptragle1953

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks, I don't believe they are in the pocket watch as I withdrew them completely and put them ????? I run a very powerful magnet about the floor around the bench at least twice a day and I have a small metal detector for non-ferriious objects.... this stuff is so small you
can't see it. But, without fail, the magnet finds something!
Your gag is more truthful than you think..... I have found that the trick is to stop looking, do something else.... and sure enough it will show up in some unexpected place. I think this is a lesson in Phil Irving's Theory oOf Mental Invisibility

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Good trick. But I try and fail to keep everything from one watch is it's own lidded plastic container. Lord. I must have 30 watches around here as I try and find parts needed. Jewels and mating shaft are REALLY hard to find at this date. The thrust tip of a balance wheel
shaft is the size of a small needle. I have already broken two by not being careful not to put ANY side thrust on the balance wheel which is easy to thumb with the movement removed from the case.

Brian Thompson

Non-VOC Member
Hello riptangle,
I don't want your blue status, I want you to stay here so I can drive you and the others nuts while I try to successfully assemble 2 1000 engines that have been apart since 1964. And I didn't pull them apart, heck I was only 3 at the time. And these where only cases when I got them. Thanks to Terry Prince and the VOC spares department I have enough goodies to start re-assembly. I've had to hide all the rope at Terry's place in case he causes himself some harm after every time I call him. I do have the 3rd engine , a C series that is together , but I don't need all three engines over the bench. I have a 1963 BSA DBD34 engine in pieces mixed up with the Vincent parts. God help me.
Thanks again for hanging around and don't give up on society they/we need you.
Cheers
brt650

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
If I were you:
I'd concentrate on one at a time. Is Maughan still doing work.... I believe Tony is dead.
You want a solid and true base to support your big end and shaft assembly. I do not know what you can afford.... but this is critical if you want to do it right.
Step one is to have the cases brought into truth at the main bearings..... by machining and Vincent experience you want your man to bring the bearing bores back to correct
size, roundness and in dead perfect alignment side to side. Think of it, one of the first things done to a small block Chevy (or anything else) is to line bore the block after which
oversize bearing shells are fitted that match the crank grind. This is step #1.

Brian Thompson

Non-VOC Member
Terry had the main bearing bores machined and sleeved. This engine is running 1200 cc. Had the counter bores machined too. New crank and top end kits. Mk5 race cams and followers.Twin start oil pump and new pump assembly. Already fitted by TP and lapped in.All bearings have been fitted and different drive side bearing set-up done.I am tapping out holes and I have to do a dummy run on engine assembly to fit the new G39as and G33 with the 5 speed Quaife gearbox.
I have covered my Harley so it doesn't see a strange twin in the shed. Albeit 3 strange twins.
Will you be over this way riptangle? Maybe you could drop in?
Cheers
brt650

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
The way your post sounded it appeared as if you had two bare case engines and needed help getting started with the process of assembly. Now it turns out this is not the case and I feel like a fool. No more from me Pal.

Brian Thompson

Non-VOC Member
Hang on rip,
I have posted previously and said I had 3 engines to do. In various states of disassembly. So you don't get off that lightly.
The problem I have straight up now is, the G39AS and the G33 are at a mismatch. They are both new gears from VOC. Terry said that they can be a bugger if they get notchy. I don't want to be running back to him every 5 minutes.
I'm thinking I might be able to wear them in a little with valve grinding paste. Have you come across this before? I tried the old G33 in the 4 speed plate and it turns nicely. The teeth are a different cut.I would prefer to use the new gears, especially since I have shrunk in the new G33 and surface ground the protruding section in the surface grinder.
Come on rip I need your advice?
Cheers
brt650

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
As a simple matter of courtesy nobody tells anyone what they are going to do for them unless they outrank you in the army or your are in jail. It's a social no-no you understand.
So I am suggesting to you very politely just now to not try to involve me in your motorcycle plans because that takes my time and I am doing other things. However, if you believe you need my
written technical advice that badly I work for $200 an hour. So write what you want me to do in a letter..... I will charge depending on how long it takes me to answer it and bill you accordingly.
When payment is recieced you will receive the information you have paid for.

Status
Not open for further replies.