Advantage in drilled cam gears ET157/1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Another very rare but very desirable piece is the big idler support . Originally a two piece , the base of alloy with its steel shaft an interferance fit . These rarely stay tight but red Loctite does a good job of restoring the fit if properly done .
The racing piece was a forged one piece steel component developed for the Picador drone motor , trouble free and lasts forever . My drag bike and street bike used these . Sid .
V3 products - advert in MPH - can supply the one piece steel component

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
My take on that particular component whether two-piece or a single was the fact that the mounting base was positively crude what with big holes on small studs to slop the thing into adjustment....a rather marginal attachment: dependent on the friction provided by three small studs.
I chose to mount my plate solidly to the case wall with three precision larger bolts that fit the 180 degree layout exactly as both the mount and case were machined exactly true to the point of the spindle mount being nearly a light press fit.... it other words it wold not move
from position with the nuts loose. The idler shaft was hardened and ground tool steel to the large idler's roller bearing specification. And, most importantly, the thicker than stock tempered high grade alloy "steay plate"was bored to the exact position of the spindle end mounting once correct ROUND cam gear mesh was established allowing no cantilever movement in yet another oversize adjustment hole. By the way, how many of you folks have ever chucked your stock large gear mount into a lathe.... and used a dial indicator to establish
if your spindle was a true 90 degrees from the mount? you may be surprised at how many large idlers are running crooked and given their large radius.... a true mesh means a lot to a gear. But, easy fix here.... as long as you have the spindle chucked up a light face cut
across the bottom of the base will square it up as it should be. Of course someone is going to ask how I achieved cam gear mesh with a solid idler boss..... well, that's a whole 'nother story into the land of total overkill.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Clearly God like precision I bet never done before or since . But all chance of adjustment is lost . The reason for the wide variation in diameters offered in the bunch of different half time pinions made by Vincent lost . What if cams needed replacement due to wear etc or something better in timing comes along etc. , or the big idler drops a tooth God forbid , needs being tossed ? The thought of such happening curdles the blood . Do it all over again the only way . Bite the bullet .
The idler support isn't beaten about much in actuality as the other gears are spread around it fairly evenly so the big idler kinda floats in its central position . Or so it seems to me , but what the hell do I know ? Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
For a near silent timing chest I adj. the big idler upwards and gently fore or aft til there is nil slack at both cam pinions but the idler will slide in or out with the fingertips . Loc it down there . Expansion of the case will give free running as it warms . The half time fit is next , delt with if too wide a lash by use of a better choice in diameter , the reason for their availability . But in fact a bit of extra looseness here is of little matter as this pinion runs nearly submerged in oil and there is no real chattering during operation , the big pinion spins evenly compared to the cam pinions which catch hell from the spring forces at work upon the followers .
Done this way results in nil pinion noise , and if the follower end floats are closely governed they won't contribute to the music .
All our motors run very quietly done this way . Sid .

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
My computer went goofy earlier so my post to suggest Sid read the last line of my yacking about my solid mount shaft support and the fact that it negates Sids claim it was unadjustabe was never posted. It certainly was adjustable with micrometer-like precision and a pretty neat design. It's only disadvantage was the bore for the repositioned end of the large idler shaft had to be rebored on a new blank...... I had plenty completed plates waiting for that new bore. So, it took me less than an hour to change to the repositioned custom steady plate.
How one can criticize a component they (or anyone else) have never seen is totally beyond me. My quip that this was a trip into overkill-land I meant:as I am fully aware a Vin doesn't need my flight into an interesting design which I did as an engineering exercise. No, I did not
use this on my standard rebuilds..... it was for crazy specials.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
No way do I criticize such outstanding machining ability but point out that the original design can be trusted to work well and adjusted properly will run quietly and reliabily . If the shaft comes loose it can be corrected with Loctite . And point out that the one piece steel component is superior .
I'm a great believer in Irvings designs and back him to the hilt . Just my way . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
More tho not needed , it's exploits say it all . A relatitively few Lightnings shocked the world with their performance and reliability
at speed . No where in the books is there mention of their being prone to failure . Little more need be said . Sid

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Sid, I am not trying to pick a fight with you or even an argument. But in your post 0717 above you tell the good folks that my idler is not adjustable and then list the horrors that could come about because it is not adjustable. When indeed before your post on it's faults
I clearly state: Of course someone is going to ask how I achieved cam gear mesh with a solid idler boss..... well, that's a whole 'nother story into the land of total overkill.
Well, I was right.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
As I saw no easy way to adj. lash between pinions in your marvelous creation I got carried away , so necessary is this to proper operation .
If I got that wrong I'm sorry , never meant to slight your work . Sid. .

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Well, this all gets this PTSD loaded 100% disabled old Lrrp/Ranger all upset. You bet I feel sorry for myself at times. And when I try to get a little joy and relief by reliving a few good things I did in the old days when I was good for something I can't even get that.
So what is the point of it? More upset obviously. I don't need this..... I honestly can't take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.