Misc: Everything Else 1951 Black Shadow Restoration

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Shadow back together. Seems to start easily after priming.
12 mile ride all fine, except cant get second gear but half the time , must be overtravel or under travel.
Charging all the time, lights on, brake lite sticks on. lost the brake pad FT100 and screws.
Pulls very well, idles much better today, not perfect.

20210923_Reassembly.jpg

Chase bike was my neighbor Dave.

20210923_Ride2Today.jpg

Last edited:

paw99

VOC Member
To answer Vic's question, I believe the chainwheel bushes are not generally a snug fit, running clearance a good 3 thou or more, and oilite material on the thin outer bush.......The scroll on the inner bush would help to feed oil to some extent. I don't believe this arrangement works as well with a multiplate clutch because the clutch assembly is mounted out from the chainwheel, thus any play in the bushes makes the clutch wobble around too much.......this would not help with the clutch "freeing off" So Vic's bearing mod is good, if not a bit difficult, certainly for anyone else without the ability to machine up parts.
Hi Greg, im sorry i just accidentally "downvoted" your post, didnt know what the arrow was for! However re the standard twin clutch, do you know of a source of info re diameters for clutch shaft and clutch nut c20, as i have much cluth wobble in spite of replacing bushes, and clutch drag is hampering gearchange. I would also be interested to see figures for clutch action from handle bar down to plates, as i cant get 1 mm, and thats varied by wobble.
Cheers

Last edited:

greg brillus

VOC Member
If the bushes in the chainwheel are new and there is still too much wobble, then the only fix is to replace the C3 shoe carrier........The OD of the sleeve does wear some and probably not easy to fix, so a replacement may be the only real cure here. They also can suffer wear on the inner spline to the gearbox input shaft and this can lead to the C20 nut coming loose on occasion and causing an oil leak in the clutch assembly. Too tight a primary chain will cause the assembly to wobble too much as well, so check that the chain has a good 1/2" of up/down play when cold........The chain tension increases as the engine warms up as the 2 shafts move further apart.........Good luck with it all.

paw99

VOC Member
If the bushes in the chainwheel are new and there is still too much wobble, then the only fix is to replace the C3 shoe carrier........The OD of the sleeve does wear some and probably not easy to fix, so a replacement may be the only real cure here. They also can suffer wear on the inner spline to the gearbox input shaft and this can lead to the C20 nut coming loose on occasion and causing an oil leak in the clutch assembly. Too tight a primary chain will cause the assembly to wobble too much as well, so check that the chain has a good 1/2" of up/down play when cold........The chain tension increases as the engine warms up as the 2 shafts move further apart.........Good luck with it all.
Many thanks to Greg, Stu and all..as my vin was 70 in June, this can be a belated birthday present! Order now in, and certain to be better very soon...cheers, peter

craig

VOC Member
Black Shadow project required borrowing pieces from in progress twin......oil lines, tail light assembly, carburetors, throttle cables, etc.
New oil lines have been fabricated and installed , today was test for leaks .
All looks good, but stock vent hose does produce drops of oil at idle.

20211110_TestedNewOilLines1.jpg