Misc: Everything Else 1951 Black Shadow Restoration

Gene Nehring

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Gene, I have never seen a PD19 and in fact had to look them up on the Club Shop web site to see what they looked like. Could they be intended for use on a single? I cannot see that they can be used on a twin. The drive system has two holes for the pins in PD17AS so I cannot imagine where a washer/spacer like the Club Shop picture could go. I have seen thin metal plate shims under the dynamo cradle to increase the height of the dynamo on a few bikes. When Dick Sherwin and I were developing the car alternator kit, known as the 'Walkernator' now, I had to spend a lot of time on the drives as this system can produce up to either 30 or 40 amps, depending upon the alternator used and I was worried about whether the original drive system could take it. About eighty are in use and there have been no failures of the drive system that I am aware of. I would not trust a plastic drive sprocket with one of these kits. My worry about the tightness of the mesh with the way that Craig has set his up is that I think that there will be some 'throw' of the triplex chain from its sprocket and I cannot see that there is anywhere for that to go. When I set up one of my systems I always ensure that the dynamo drive sprocket can rock backwards and forwards significantly. No doubt we will hear eventually how Craig gets on with his bike. Sorry but this time I am stumped.
Some where it talks about them being used as a way to shim the dynamo in and out to get the mesh centralized in the chain with a Miller dynamo. Does that sound right?

I look forward to seeing what Craig does. I too thought he needs touch more back lash.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
In the Richardson book, there's mention of a chirping (I think that's he word) noise caused by insufficient backlash of the dynamo drive sprocket. He says many owners thought it was coming from the clutch. My bike had that when I first mounted the Alton. I wound up using one of those shims under the mount to fix it. Many thousands of miles later, no noise and no trouble -- with the plastic sprocket.

timetraveller

VOC Member
From the photographs I do not know the size of the washer/shims but I cannot see where they would go unless it is somewhere on the dynamo drive shaft. There are several problems. First there are both tapered and parallel input shafts depending upon whether one has a Miller or Lucas dynamo so I cannot see where these shims would go. Seondly as I found out during the Walkernator development the rear of the raised part of the primary drive which takes the dynamo drive has at least three different configurations. Some have the tapered hollow cast in, some have it machined in and some do not have a hollow at all but are flat at the rear. These differences will all make it difficult to position the Alton/dynamo input shaft in the correct in and out postion. I got round it with the Walkernators by providing a large section, very soft 'o' ring type seal. These were nitrilerubber for engine oil lubrication and silicon rubber tubing if ATF was used in the primary drive case. In both cases I provided a length of the tube or 'o' ring section and this had to be cut to the correct length and then glued. This seal is then trapped between the back of the primary chain case and the end of the dynamo replacement in the kit. The seals are sufficiently 'squidgy' that they can be used to tune the position to allow the sprocket to line up with the centre run on the triplex chain. Perhaps the Spares Company will tell us just what these items are used for. I'm not only stumped but also flumoxed. Good old northern words.
Going back to Craig's query about the amount of oil to put into the primary chain case; there is a level bolt so supposing the the bike is more or less horizontal front to back you can just take out that bolt, fill up until oit starts to flow out and then put the bolt back in place.
Gary's contribution just came in while I was typing this so perhaps he can tell us exactly which shim it was and where it went.

The VOC Spares Company Limited

VOC Member
Hi Gene, I have never seen a PD19 and in fact had to look them up on the Club Shop web site to see what they looked like. Could they be intended for use on a single? I cannot see that they can be used on a twin. The drive system has two holes for the pins in PD17AS so I cannot imagine where a washer/spacer like the Club Shop picture could go. I have seen thin metal plate shims under the dynamo cradle to increase the height of the dynamo on a few bikes. When Dick Sherwin and I were developing the car alternator kit, known as the 'Walkernator' now, I had to spend a lot of time on the drives as this system can produce up to either 30 or 40 amps, depending upon the alternator used and I was worried about whether the original drive system could take it. About eighty are in use and there have been no failures of the drive system that I am aware of. I would not trust a plastic drive sprocket with one of these kits. My worry about the tightness of the mesh with the way that Craig has set his up is that I think that there will be some 'throw' of the triplex chain from its sprocket and I cannot see that there is anywhere for that to go. When I set up one of my systems I always ensure that the dynamo drive sprocket can rock backwards and forwards significantly. No doubt we will hear eventually how Craig gets on with his bike. Sorry but this time I am stumped.
They are used on twins only. See M036. They are used between the dynamo and the case to achieve centralising the gear in the chain.

craig

VOC Member
MO36.jpg
looks self explanatory to me, maybe not all.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
The shim I mentioned goes below the dynamo mount (ET221? I have a D so maybe it's different), so as to lift the dynamo a bit. I bought it from Coventry Spares here in the USA. The shim seems to be part number ET232.

I failed to mention that in my first attempt, I left out the oil slinger and goobed (Shakespearean word) it up to try to seal it. Naturally, that didn't work so when I fixed the noise problem, I also installed the slinger and all has been well since.

timetraveller

VOC Member
That is the kind of shim I have seen before. Quite rare in my experience so I don't know what happened with some bikes that they are required.