H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Front brake help please

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
That is right. Turn the adjuster clockwise to make the damper stiffer. I phoned AVO a few minutes ago to order two fronts and one coil over rear to be told that at the moment they are only reconditioning old ones and not making new ones. I offered to buy a bunch to try to get things moving as I have people waiting for JE stems with dampers etc.. Is anyone else interested?

kerry

VOC Member
I just looked at mine in the darkish room and saw the slotted heads that would not move then realised the adjuster is a tiny allen screw in the centre which on both front and rear I have clicked in about 6 times, both were on softest setting
I hope they will make coil-over again as I am looking for a D Vincent at the moment and will need to buy one of them to lower the bike as I have done in the past.
Thanks for the adjustment advice.
Kerry.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Hi Al,
I have almost bedded in my new fabric type shoes and the brakes are much improved, however looking at the various new ones, the German ones are the lightest and best in my opinion and I have ordered these, Mc Alister and others are good I am sure but heavier ?
I have a Avo front damper fitted but also have a spare new Ikon which I intend to try and compare with the Avo which seems a little too soft, I will try and adjust the Avo but not sure which way stiffens up on the screw adjuster, in or out ?
Kerry.
Its intuitive, clockwise to increase (stiffen damping), anticlockwise to decrease (lessen damping)

kerry

VOC Member
My Dampers were on minimum, I was finding big bumps in the road were bottoming with a thud at the front, I think maybe you are correct, I will try to see if the six clicks makes any difference,
Appreciate your advice Chris.
Thanks
Kerry.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Hi Chris,
Think I am running two clicks on the front along with fairly soft springs on the touring rapide with inner springs shortened to offer assist when needed, it is perfect better than one of those beds of feathers....
AVO coil over on the back 275 spring min pre-load damping at around two or three.

I was gliding along over the top of the recently ploughed roads of Scotland watching my friend on his Harley Spurtster getting hammered to death it was very satisfying and I was suitably smug.
Took a while to get here a lot to do with great advice from the Vincent sages.

Al

timetraveller

VOC Member
Hi Kerry, I normally send out the fitting instructions as soon as I get an enquiry so that people know what they are getting into. I discuss the range of settings that people have used, Did you not get those?