H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Front brake help please

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If you have £2k to spend, then that will probably give you a good brake, but nothing to compare with the huge disc brakes that Roy Cross used.
For a bit less money you could purchase the 7inch Vincent Speet brakes, (I prefer the look of the 7inch drums) which I believe are very good.

I have for a very long time used the replica aluminium standard brake plates, along with a balance beam support and heavy duty cables, also making sure that every moving part within the brake drum is very lightly lubricated with "Super Lube" Synthetic Grease, and no, I am not kidding.

As previously mentioned, also use professionally re-lined brake shoes by "Classic Brake Services" and all that collectively gives me a very firm brake lever, with zero sponge, and OK braking ability, the bike doesn't stand on its nose when the brakes are applied using just one finger, but I ride accordingly, no boot bumping like your average car driver.

I have been confident enough in my brakes to go up and down the Grossglockner Pass, Austria, Lakes of Covadonga, The Picos, Rosedale Chimney Bank (1in3) Hardknott, Wrynose and Applecross Passes, all two up with panniers and tank bag etc.

And of course if I have to stop on a very steep uphill gradient, my bike will not drift backwards whilst I attempt to nearly pull the nipple off the
cable whilst trying to stop it!

Last edited:

kerry

VOC Member
Peter, Appreciate your help, exactly what I need, I think the 8" are a fair bit more than £2000 anyway though price when considering brakes is not too important,
I noted Tim and Ben's racing Shadow has 7" TLS I forgot to ask where he got them from ? Must agree they are probably good enough and look fine and I would like to keep the balance beam if possible.
Our Spares Company sell 8" but don't have any so maybe I will go for 7" TLS Vincent Spleet, just need to find where available from, US company but wonder if sold here ?
Thank you.
Kerry.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Vincent Speet will sell to you direct, his details are on page 56 of Septembers MPH, Tim and Ben made their own brakes, but they are constrained by the rules, I think Tim said they could make a better brake if they had a free hand. The Club 8 inch brakes were originally designed and manufactured by Hugh McAllister, single leading shoe I believe. The German 8 inch twin leading shoe brake ranges in price from 2040 Euro to 2290 Euro with air scoops, plus postage, not sure about VAT. Probably the best brake of all (of the drum variety) was the Paul Packman twin leading front brake, a masterpiece in design and function, and retaining the balance beam, but Paul only made a few sets, I know his patterns still exist, and who owns them, it would only be a matter of finding someone willing to cast and machine them.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
img_0925-jpg.56332

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Thats the ones Bruce, Paul Packman has only just sold his much modified Rapide (but very tastefully done) at the age of 92 he felt it was time to let it go, but he did wear a black armband when he attended the section meeting.
I really like the way he incorporated the water excluder in the casting, in fact I like everything about it, very well designed and manufactured, and apparently it worked very well, but only a privileged few would know.

kerry

VOC Member
Thank you again Peter, Yes Paul Packham's above looks very good, next perhaps the Vincent Speet, however on page 56 is VSM a Dutch company not Vincent Speet or the same Company ?
The VSM in MPH have a scoop which to me looks too big and little odd in shape, with the Speet it seems a straight forward fit too whereas others not so ?.
Online the pictures of this brake from a Company called 'Just Parts' show the Speet without the scoops and also provide cables etc
Kerry.

Last edited:

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Vincent Speet is VSM, he owns the company, the brakes are just something he does in addition to his companies activities. At one time you had a choice of purchasing the brakes with or without the air scoops, as you observe, they are not like the standard air scoops.
Vincent is very approachable, and speaks good english, phone or email him to discuss your requirements, tell him I recommended him, it will make him happy!

kerry

VOC Member
Thanks Peter, I will try my Shadow with these woven brakes once more then yes I think I need to talk to him.
Appreciate your and everyone's help, brakes must be the most important part for consideration when as others have said every car now has not just disc's but ABS too and little consideration for Biker's, not sure what happened to 'Think Bike' more like 'Forget bikes'
I wear a big Orange high vis top but still car drivers pull out in front though many more see us if we wear hi-vis.
Kerry.

vibrac

VOC Member
Peter, Appreciate your help, exactly what I need, I think the 8" are a fair bit more than £2000 anyway though price when considering brakes is not too important,
I noted Tim and Ben's racing Shadow has 7" TLS I forgot to ask where he got them from ? Must agree they are probably good enough and look fine and I would like to keep the balance beam if possible.
Our Spares Company sell 8" but don't have any so maybe I will go for 7" TLS Vincent Spleet, just need to find where available from, US company but wonder if sold here ?
Thank you.
Kerry.
We made them! took a set of alloy brake plates added some Plasticine lumps had it scanned, got two alloy blanks and let the cad cam rip..
standard shoes one up one down standard cams and a couple of rag and stick brigade (yacht) adjusters. Job done

chark_mandler

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I had some Saftek green woven lining on my '39 T80. Initially felt good with positive stop until I went down a steep hill, only 35mph. Three applications and on the fourth the lever came to the bars. After that it was the same on the flat with a few repeat applications. The drums were not even lukewarm. Changed to the next grade up and no problems.