H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Front brake help please

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The possible cessation of the manufacture of AVO shock absorbers for Vincent motorcycles is somewhat depressing, especially if you own a D and require a reduced ride height version, what alternatives are there available, none I would guess.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I'm not sure it is true. I phoned AVO twice yesterday and got no reply. On the third attempt I got a male voice and when I explained what it was for he just said that they were just reconditioning old ones. I tried again this morning and got straight through to the boss and l ordered what I wanted, two front and one coil over rear, with no trouble. I have no idea who I spoke to yesterday or why they said what they did but is looks as though it is not true. Phew!!

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Hi Chris,
Think I am running two clicks on the front along with fairly soft springs on the touring rapide with inner springs shortened to offer assist when needed, it is perfect better than one of those beds of feathers....
AVO coil over on the back 275 spring min pre-load damping at around two or three.

I was gliding along over the top of the recently ploughed roads of Scotland watching my friend on his Harley Spurtster getting hammered to death it was very satisfying and I was suitably smug.
Took a while to get here a lot to do with great advice from the Vincent sages.

Al
Hi Al.
The springing very much depends on the riders weight, I only have one click on the front and a couple on the rear, but weighing 21 stone I need the strong 45lb springs on the front and with a fully sprung seat a 350 lb spring.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Also for the heavier riders I had to get AVO to make stiffer dampers than normal, just to control the extra mass trying to bounce up and down. I still have two of the special dampers in stock in case another heavy person goes down this route. And Chris' front springs are packed by about 5/8"

DucATIRadeon

Non-VOC Member
busy with my front brakes too, and found that the mudguard stays are fouling/touching the brake plates (I've got the electron plates BL'ing?):
the front stays are pushing the 2 nuts of the shoe pivots inwards, and the rear stays are pushing the scoops inwards too (even with a distance piece at the mounting point!).

bent the stays slightly so not touching and that might'e given some improvement on the plates alignment whilst tightening the central wheel axle.

DucATIRadeon

Non-VOC Member
another item observed: the very large radius on the H10 in contact with the H48 plates fitted in my electron plates. the large radius makes it act like a snail cam (large rotation with little displacement), that makes up in part the sponginess I experienced with my brakes.
fitted new 2 new H10, thicker H48, turned to size on the lathe. original cables (2.5mm diameter), no outrigger plate, original short levers on the drums, gave immediate improved feel on the brakes with very little sponginess!

still needs new shoes/linings though...