H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Front brake help please

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
This is how we did it back then
But no-one seems to do cheap and effective nowadays....

That only braces the brake cam though. It doesn’t stop the pins that the brake shoes mount onto moving out of alignment which they do as they only mount on 1/8” thick steel plate and are staked in which you can see by the x stamped in the end.

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think there is a very good reason why you can buy superior brakes from two well known experts. From experience I can tell they are both worth the money! BUT !!!!!! As I wrote before : Only with mod. steer. stem ,otherwise it could be dangerous! Regards Erik

CarlHungness

VOC Member
I trust old-timer Roy Cross who has said 'nothing beats discs' and after I installed the Kawasaki based set up I've never regretted it. I
don't care how good the stock brakes are, they don't compare to discs. I 'cloned' the test done by (can't recall which respected magazine)
in the Fifties of the Vincent brakes. While they may have been the best in the world at the time, every car on the road has discs, so
we know who the enemy is and in any emergency, which is admittedly rare, the stock brakes at their best are just not safe.

CarlHungness

VOC Member
I think there is a very good reason why you can buy superior brakes from two well known experts. From experience I can tell they are both worth the money! BUT !!!!!! As I wrote before : Only with mod. steer. stem ,otherwise it could be dangerous! Regards Erik
Why? I have about 20,000 miles on my disc set up and no problem thus far.

erik

VOC Member
@ Carl . We live in different country with different lows for roadgoing vehicles ! AND we have all different ideas how a vintage bike should look ! With TÜV you have no chance to convert a vincent motorcycle to disc brakes .S the wise manRoy Cross is only a prophet in America and not here in Germany. Regards Erik

kerry

VOC Member
Three years ago I bought Roy Cross's favourite all time bike from him, his 49 C Rapide with it's twin disc brakes, the first thing I thought I would do is remove them, after riding it once I realised they were100% perfect so no way could any sane person remove them if they want to ride it.
last Summer when I was offered 6 Vincent's from anther famous Vincent expert I had not option but sold it to a Friend in Tasmania who rides and retains the wonderful Discs which actually have 'Vincent' engraved on the calipers.
Five of the 6 Vincent's as is often the case turned out to be non matching and re stamped poor examples which I sold on, this left me without a Vincent for a while, In January I got a superb example from eBay ! private owner (ex IOM racer) .
I fitted new linings 2 weeks ago and they were poor and spongy, I was given good advice from this forum, however I was concerned and went to the expert brake people in Bedfordshire who said bring the wheel so we can match ? etc
I pointed out that I and most classic owners were more interested in softer better linings that may wear out faster but as we dont do thousands of miles usually in a year that did not matter.
When I collected them they had changed them for a fibre/cloth type looking liner that even has bit's of brass bedded in !
Yesterday was the first time I tried them and although they are still spongy and not bedded in they seem far far better.
If they do not bed in and are not a good improvement over the originals I intend to buy the new 8" drums.
The brake people who are very polite and helpful are Auto Industrial friction services. Arlesey Bedfordshire.
photo below of these totally different extra grip linings
WP_20230918_19_57_04_Pro.jpg

Kerry

Attachments

• WP_20230918_19_56_56_Pro.jpg
    WP_20230918_19_56_56_Pro.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 6

fogrider

VOC Member
Well I never !....... Earlier this year I asked Auto Industrial to fit me some of those woven linings. I was told they will not fit them to motorbikes as they are unsuitable material and the brass wires damage the drums !
Some research found it is the cheapest material available and is for fork lift trucks and winch drums. ie, slow rotation speeds.
It does have a lot of initial bite, apparently, and riders of more modest bikes than ours find that woven stuff works well in their 6" SLS drums.
I took Auto Industrials' advice and went for a medium friction competition lining.
Not impressed with it , sadly.

nobby

VOC Member
On my bike I have been trying to improve the 'spongy' front brake, I have the angled arms fitted but when looking on images all I see is straight, which should I have please ?
I am no expert so appreciate help as I have had in the past on this nice forum.
Kerry.
View attachment 60354View attachment 60355
this is what I did with the scooped front brake for my comet/sidecar. It worked!
But for the current Comet I'm going to use the German front brake. Soon to be tested!

Attachments

• frontbrake.jpg
    frontbrake.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 41