C: Clutch ET 38 Clip On Clutch Shoes

litnman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
You name it, I have it, Know Thy Beast, Riders Handbook, Notes... Many hints just aren't in these things. I simply used a block of wood and snuck up on the nut. Easy peasy
Do you have "Clutch Thy Beast" by Les Goode? Very good information. Originally posted in the NorCal section.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
"Clutch Thy Beast" can be found on thevincent.com . Select "Clutch" at the top and scroll down (or use ctrl-F and type in the title you're looking for.

Bogage

VOC Member
I just double-checked and the Circlip (corrected Ed) are in the groove, but they did appear to possibly not be, so I checked. Only time. Easier on the rack than on the road later. Cheers!
IMG_6586D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bogage

VOC Member
Circlip, have I mentioned how much I dislike spell check. It fixes things when you don't want to and doesn't when you need it to!

john998

VOC Member
Hello, I think you have the wrong circlips on C3, they look too small.
John.

Attachments

• 20220907_091455.jpg
    20220907_091455.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 20

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
I'm not convinced that the clips are fully seated. I see that they are at the ends, but they could still be hanging up around the back. I suggest you press the blade of a screwdriver against the back part with the screwdriver parallel to the mainshaft and tap on the end of the screwdriver with a small hammer or mallet. The idea is not to force the clip into the groove, but to tap it back against the clutch shoe so it can pop in. Once it's properly seated, you should be able to put the point of a scribe into one of the holes of the clip and rotate it to make sure it's seated.

Bogage

VOC Member
Easy enough... only 15 screws. I will update, may not do it today, hedging out of town for a few days

Bogage

VOC Member
OK, I spun the clips on the groove. I think they appear to be off the groove as the ears are not as close together as is often seen. It is possible that they are incorrect for C5/1 Clutch Shoe Pivot Nut, but they have been there since before I was in there and I think they are very stoutly around said nut.