C: Clutch ET 38 Clip On Clutch Shoes

stumpy lord

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I see some hints on install, but I am having a heck of a time removing these darned things. My shoes need to be rebutted on the pivot and I'm trying to get them out without removing the entire carrier as it is oil tight at the moment!!

Insight is desired gentlemen, I am a rookie, only owned my bike 11 years
For a comprehensive guidance/ instructions on the vincent clutch try and get a copy of the workshop notes, in fact a must have for the whole machine.
In a short while my pal and I are going to produce a tool to make it easy to undo the clutch nut or tighten it up without having to spraging the rear wheel.
stumpy lord

Bogage

VOC Member
You name it, I have it, Know Thy Beast, Riders Handbook, Notes... Many hints just aren't in these things. I simply used a block of wood and snuck up on the nut. Easy peasy

Bogage

VOC Member
IMG_6576D.jpeg
IMG_6577D.jpeg

Bushings installed, shoes and clutch replaced in basket and buttoned up.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Those washers are there on all Vincent twin clutches althougth I am not sure they were there on the first few. Without them the pins which take the circlips which were the subject of this thread can foul the rear of the inner plate of the pilot clutch. Nearly all the inner plates I have seen have scars caused by this.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Those washers are there on all Vincent twin clutches althougth I am not sure they were there on the first few. Without them the pins which take the circlips which were the subject of this thread can foul the rear of the inner plate of the pilot clutch. Nearly all the inner plates I have seen have scars caused by this.
At huge risk to my credibility Norman, I am going to challenge that statement, I don't think the factory ever fitted those washers behind the first clutch plate, but I agree that most owners did at the first opportunity, as you say, once you notice the witness marks on the rear surface of the clutch plate, I think the most common spacer/washer to use was one of the timing chest thrust washers, they are nice and thin, and fit perfectly over the spring posts. Without the washers I think the problem becomes more pronounced as parts of the servo clutch start to wear a little, and more lateral movement is introduced into the whole mechanism.

timetraveller

VOC Member
You mightwell be right Peter. I have just looked in a series 'D' parts list and there are none of the washers we are discussing on that drawing. I just don't recall ever seeing a clutch without them or the scars on the back of the primary clutch inner plate. Just shows, I shouldn't make assumptions.

delboy

VOC Member
Fitting washers ET98/1's are mentioned with respect to the friction plate tabs bottoming in the drum slots on page 9 of the instruction sheets [modern edition] originally written by Paul Richardson Circa 1949.
Clearly the works had tolerance snags at times.
But, why only six ET98/1's instead of on all nine pins?
Regards,
delboy.

greg brillus

VOC Member
And unnecessary.......the inner pressure plate is strong enough that it wont flex with the middle washer missing...... just the 3 outer pairs is fine.