C: Clutch ET 38 Clip On Clutch Shoes

Gene Nehring

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
You mightwell be right Peter. I have just looked in a series 'D' parts list and there are none of the washers we are discussing on that drawing. I just don't recall ever seeing a clutch without them or the scars on the back of the primary clutch inner plate. Just shows, I shouldn't make assumptions.
That’s why I made the comment as I didn’t recall the washers being on any parts book I have. Now I need to check to se did I put them behind mine!

delboy

VOC Member
Golly, I must be wasting three washers in my clutch then, even if somehow they don't fit?
Regards,
delboy.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Well if you use small OD washers you will be able to fit a washer on every spring post, but there is really no need to do this, if you follow Eddie Stevens recommendation and use ET98/1 washers, then you will find using 9 washers will be impossible due to larger OD, the washers will overlap each other, so 6 is plenty, 9 is unnecessary.

delboy

VOC Member
Perhaps I have other size washers in there? There's definitely nine though.
I rather prefer all nine for more complete support of the back of the pilot plate.
delboy.

stu spalding

VOC Member
The washers are fitted to stop ET38 fouling the back of plate C21 but are only necessary if the pivot holes in the shoes are worn. Cheers, Stu.

stu spalding

VOC Member
Quite right Norman, I've put my specs on. One dodge/bodge is to csk the ET38 groove a little deeper, and put a washer under the split pin on the other end of C9. Cheers, Stu.

erik

VOC Member
Are the circlips not a little bit to small for the bolts?Normally the ears should be more parallel when fitted!? Erik