zero to sixty

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
When I rode Rays twin it has a set of standard looking pipes 2 into 1 as per normal which if you looked again were actually 2" as I recall the silencer was also to standard except it too was 2"
I took twin down the A4260 towards Banbury from the Rally at Rousham House many moons ago,it really flew and cost me lots of winter hours vainly trying to get my production racer in the same trim

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
It'll be fine to sixty in first.
It has 22/42 sprockets and a slightly overgeared Newby primary drive. The engine is ok to rev to 6500 as well, that helps. The launch is the tricky part.
I recently learned that most magazine zero to 60 tests are done from 3 mph. I'm not sure why 3 mph is chosen but it likely makes quite a difference to the result.
Seems like cheating doesn't it?
All to help sell motorcycles by exaggerating performance.
The 4.9 with the 998 Rapide motor in the lightweight bike was from a standing start. That version had close to standard gearing, just about 5% higher . In order to stay below 5800 max rpm, those runs required shifting into 2 ND. That's something that can't be done in a hurry with a stock Vincent transmission.

Glen

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
After 10 years Sprinting a road Vincent,
Trying all sorts of start, I found lots of rev's didn't work for me.
The Vin' has so much bottom end grunt, I found just whack the throttle open at the same time as dropping the clutch, I found Road Racing more easy on the Bike, Less trouble.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Dear old Tony Wilson, Once told me His Racing "A" Twin, The one with High pipes,
Did 12.5 second 1/4 mile ?, I said NOT from a standing Start !,
He laughed and said your right, it was rolling.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
What does your Thruxton do 0 to 60 in?
I can only go by the magazine numbers, which will be the rolling start. It's pretty quick , 3.1 seconds, same as most sportbikes. It really is a sportbike dolled up to appeal to us old men.

MSVH has a green Thruxton. They are slightly slower than the red ones.:)

Glen

Last edited:

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Dear old Tony Wilson, Once told me His Racing "A" Twin, The one with High pipes,
Did 12.5 second 1/4 mile ?, I said NOT from a standing Start !,
He laughed and said your right, it was rolling.
With a rolling start it doesn't mean much does it?
My Yamaha Twin jet 100 would do a 12.5 second rolling start 1/4 mile, as long as the rolling start was at 72 mph. Of course I needed favourable winds to get it to 72 mph, a five mph tailwind was ideal.
Then it could do 12.5 second 1/4 mile runs until the tank(s) ran dry!

Glen

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
In the 1970 Slater Vincent brochure he quotes a 0-60 time of 2.8sec and the slogan "no stock machine in the world can equal this.
My best quarter in a very limited sprint career was 13.47 @ 99mph. Most of the standard Vins at that North Weald meet were doing 15s.
Ive always struggled getting it off the line. Not brave enough to give it the beans and drop the clutch!
Cheers Bill

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
In the 1970 Slater Vincent brochure he quotes a 0-60 time of 2.8sec and the slogan "no stock machine in the world can equal this.
My best quarter in a very limited sprint career was 13.47 @ 99mph. Most of the standard Vins at that North Weald meet were doing 15s.
Ive always struggled getting it off the line. Not brave enough to give it the beans and drop the clutch!
Cheers Bill
I was there !!, Watching, Ossie had a video of you taking off,
I remember replaying it on his box of tricks !!, And I moved to the right while looking in the view finder,
I have always been a Silly Old Sod !.