zero to sixty

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My technique was to drop the clutch as the revs were rising past 5,000 with an opening throttle. I seem to remember standing alongside Neville Higgins and watching his technique. Dropped the clutch at about 7,000 as I remember.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
It was a long time ago, Funny the things you remember,
The Late John King from Essex was also there with His Vincent Special, Just remembered !!.
Had a Honda Bike Shop.
Ironic ! I was there on a BMW K100, You being a BMW Man !.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Re the Slater time of 2.8 seconds zero to sixty.
That would be = a 215 HP Ducati Panigale. I don't see this happening with a moderately heavy 50 bhp machine.
I managed a 4.9 with a similar engine type in a much lighter chassis.
The Rider's Handbook lists 0-60 times as 6.5 seconds for a Black Shadow, 6.0 seconds for a Rapide. Presumably the extra time for the Black Shadow is due to the high first gear the early Shadows used.

13.47 for the quarter is impressive. You must have done everything right. Shifting the stock trans quickly is difficult.

Glen

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
Apologies if I have told this before :)

I did my first sprint at Duxford it was a Kilometer sprint we were launched in pairs and the track was divided down the center by a row of white plastic lamp shades (ex Nissen hut WD for the use of)
I was a bit green so I asked Ray Elgar how I should take off, he looked at my twin and said
"Stand on tip toe,give it some stick ,drop the clutch and let the racing seat bump catch you as it comes past"
I did that, and a bit of snaking ensued then I hit the shades and the air was filled with plastic snow I thnk my times were in the low 20,s, Happy days

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
It was a long time ago, Funny the things you remember,
The Late John King from Essex was also there with His Vincent Special, Just remembered !!.
Had a Honda Bike Shop.
Ironic ! I was there on a BMW K100, You being a BMW Man !.
Yes John and I were vying against each other all day. I can't remember his best but I know I just beat him on his Capon Vincent.
As a dealership we returned to show off some bikes and I set my personal best on an R1100R at 11.9 ish and about 104. Was pleased with this as I beat our tech Frazer Bush who left the line sideways in a plume of smoke on the R1100RS.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Shame on me, I forgot John's second name, Then just as I was sending , It came to me.
So many Bike's I would have liked to own, R1100s was one of them,
Saw one in a local shop a few years ago, £2500, looked nice,
Running out of time and money now :D .
I guess I am lucky to have my stuff.

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
I can only go by the magazine numbers, which will be the rolling start. It's pretty quick , 3.1 seconds, same as most sportbikes. It really is a sportbike dolled up to appeal to us old men.

MSVH has a green Thruxton. They are slightly slower than the red ones.:)

Glen
Actually Glen the green ones are much faster but it is best to keep your red one out front to attract the police.

vibrac

VOC Member
Shame on me, I forgot John's second name, Then just as I was sending , It came to me.
So many Bike's I would have liked to own, R1100s was one of them,
Saw one in a local shop a few years ago, £2500, looked nice,
Running out of time and money now :D .
I guess I am lucky to have my stuff.
My K100 is a early one cost me £400 had 25K miles on it and had stood for 20 odd years. It cost me a few quid to get it going tyres etc, but Bens the guy for that. In fact it was Ben racing and winning BEARS races and show prizes with his K100's so sucessfully that has jacked up the prices now every one wants to build a K100 cafe racer, well its not happening to mine!