Xenon HID lighting

John Appleton

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
[

Failing that , just wait a little while for the next revolution in automotive lighting , LED !! Even less power consumption & no bulky electronics needed !![/quote]

I quite agree , but L.E.D. is still two years away so I am told . At my annual mileage thats 20000 miles of opportunities to drive into something solid . Thirty quid for a stopgap system is a price worth paying !

John

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Xenon Headlamp

The new and very impressive BMW 1200GT uses a Xenon headlamp, and a pal of mine that has one tells me it is fantastic, at last he can get even the most inconsiderate motorist to dip his (or hers ) blazing lights in an instant.
I have not had a chance yet to delve further, and may not be able to if the gear is buried behind fairings etc.
Good Luck and Merry Christmas.
PS. I believe this is an option and it aint cheap!

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
I quite agree , but L.E.D. is still two years away so I am told . At my annual mileage thats 20000 miles of opportunities to drive into something solid . Thirty quid for a stopgap system is a price worth paying !

John

Quite agree with you , I was responding to WLD50's question , apologies for lack of clarity there.

I wonder what PCV or PI would have thought of this development ?!

tonythecat

Non-VOC Member
Peter, thanks for your recommendation for this system, I sent to China for one and like you received it in 8 days even over Christmas!. Looked like a superb piece of kit I would guess that the waterproof connectors alone, supplied, would cost £12.50 here in the UK. Finally got round to fitting it yesterday, to a Harley (sorry but this is the bike I ride every day and night) simple fitting really, only problem I had was one of the small self-tapping screws that hold the unit together came out and was a bit suspect so I drilled them both out and tapped them 6BA. Results, WOW it looks at least 3 times brighter than the 100w it replaced, with a super blue/white light, I haven't had it on the road yet so time will tell, but for £30!!!!, the Harley Xenon light kit for my bike is, would you believe £541.00, ouch. Thanks again Peter for your heads up on this.

Tony

dave g6xnc

Non-VOC Member
Hid

I have aBMW 115o gs the lights on these are to be frank not a lot better than the lights on a rapide (6volt!) When thwe dip beam was changed to hid not a big job but these of course are twelve volts. The differance is amazing, going to do the main beam when the bike's rebuilt (prongs not blow ups). Look to by car kit these contain two assemblies and split the cost between two of you. Mine was a 35 watt lamp but they also make 50 watts miniature suns!. Dunno about mechanical dipping type lamps perhaps an aulux head lamp / driving lamp would be the answer these will certainly
make night riding especially down dark roads.
dave gs,

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Main beam HID

going to do the main beam when the bike's rebuilt

I'm glad to see that everyone is as impressed with HID as I am. Unfortunately is is currently not practical to convert just a high beam light to HID due to the 20 - 30 second warm up time when you hit the switch. Even cars like the Mercs that have HID dip beam still use halogen bulbs for the high beam. The only way that I can see to do it is to use the mechanical dipping bulb and even then if the lamp is a spot lamp intended for main beam use only you will not get a proper dip pattern and will fail the M.O.T

Pete

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Fitting HID Lights

which unit did you buy ,
ps can you give fitting details

I seem to be getting queries from all over the world about these things. Pity I don't get a comission :rolleyes:

The place to get them is :- http://stores.ebay.co.uk/diane-shop

The product is described as :- 'BI-XENON HID CONVERSION KIT H4-3 For Motorcycle Bike'

There are a number of them always for sale but they seem to be different prices. I don't understand why but just clicking 'buy it now' on the cheapest seems to work.

The kits come from Hong Kong and the instructions have been translated by someone who is probably fluent in some language, just not English.

Below are the notes that I have been e-mailing to other people who have been having trouble. I think that they are easy to fit by a reasonably competent D.I.Y er . If you still have trouble then contact me Peter@Appleton-eng.co.uk

Pete

Most of the connections are idiot proof as you just connect up the multi plugs. The heavy multiplug on the silver ballast box is possible to get in the wrong way round (don't ask how I know) the plastic tag fits over the small metal lug on the box not the larger square one on the other side. The heavy red lead, with the eye, from the relay can be shortened and connected to the appropriate side of the ammeter. The heavy black goes to ground. The only other plug not accounted for is the 3 pin rectangular one. This can be cut off and 3 spade terminals crimped on, The black wire is pushed into the earth terminal of the old headlight bulb multiplug. One of the others goes into the low beam terminal and the final one goes into the high beam terminal. I can't remember which one is which but if high and low beams are crossed then just swap the wires. The reason that I used spades and didn't cut off the old headlight bulb multiplug is that if it all goes wrong out on the road you can just pull out the spades, buy a car headlamp bulb and revert to normal lights.

On the subject of light units I use a 7" lucas headlight bowl and ammeter with a modern reflector unit supplied in the accessory shops for converting old sealed beam light cars to halogen bulb. This reflector has a very flat glass and gives an excellent beam pattern even with a halogen bulb. "

vincenttwin

VOC Member
1936 Headligth

Thanks Pete
I just want to do 80mph up in the mountains at 8000 feet. with lights to see the Elk . are you coming to the NA rally/
Peter