Xenon HID lighting

Bill Cannon

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have been using a Bi-Xenon H4 headlamp HID conversion in my B..W for 3 years. It switches instantly from dip to main by means of an elctromagnetic device on the back. It was supplied by hids4u. It is simply the best thing I have done to the bike. It gives superb lighting(much better than the 100W xenon bulb it replaced) and only consumes 35W after 'striking'. Definitely recommend it to anybody! Also very simple to fit as long as you have space for the ballast.
Bill

vapide

Non-VOC Member
Can someone who has one of these lights tell me what that situation is on replacement bulbs? Is the bulb and dipper one piece, and replaced together, or can the bulb be replaced separately. If the latter, what does the bulb look like when it is out?

I've got some 10 and 21 watt HIDs used in underwater lighting, with extremely small ballasts I'd love to find a dipper unit for, so I could have an HID that would run off a Miller, fit entirely in the headlight shell, and give light comparable to a 50W halogen!

tractorman414

VOC Member
bulb details

in reply to vapide's question,

I have one of the Hong Kong units and the bulb, holder/relay and associated wiring are not designed for the customer to dismantle. screws are used in the assemble so it could be dismantled, but the unit carries a warning notice "not to dismantle".

If you are really keen I thing you would have to buy a complete kit and chance your luck at taking it to bits

Bernard

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
HID lights

I contacted HID4U to ask them. The bulb is a direct replacement for the H4 halogen: ergo, there is only one bulb. The gubbins is separate, and about the size of a cigarette packet. That'll be 20 Marlboro I expect, no one remembers packets of 10 Woodbine......

The kit appears to cost £130 although I'm not sure they realised I wanted a kit for a bike.