Xenon HID lighting

stumpy lord

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
lights

pete ,
you mention fitting a headlamp unit from a V.W . what model and what year of car did it come off? As I am in need of a decent light unit for my twin. Many thanks, and regards to the old man.
stumpy.:cool:

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Light units

pete ,
you mention fitting a headlamp unit from a V.W . what model and what year of car did it come off?

Norman
The kit is supplied to convert the early mark 1 Golf sealed beam lights to halogens. The ones that I buy are supplied by 'Ring' ,a common supplier of automotive lighting. They should be available from your local motor factor part No RL080. This gets you a set of two light units for not much over twenty quid. So perhaps you could sell one to Roger and get your money back (assuming that he has found his missing compression).
A final point is that the first unit we fitted cracked within 100 miles as we had just fitted it straight in the lucas rim. A bead of DIY shop silicone sealant to insulate the vibration has cured this, my one has been in for ten thousand miles and the old boys one has been in for much further.
If you have trouble locating a kit let me have your address in a private message and I will send you one.

Pete

P.S You can send regards to John yourself as he has joined the on-line masses and is now totally I.T compliant and high definition ready. I am thinking of buying him a skateboard for Christmas.

VinParts

Non-VOC Member
John on his backside.

I am thinking of buying him a skateboard for Christmas.[/QUOTE]

Now that is something I would like to see:D:D

johncrispin

VOC Member
Xenon lights

Monkeypants ,had it right. Sorry to be down beat on this but I personally think that this type of overkill lighting so particularly beloved of the German Car industry is quite frankly a killer.
Even on dipped lights or viewed in a mirror the oncoming blue flash renders you blind for a dangerously long period of time, especially on a bike. I have to wear yellow filters specs to protect myself driving at night and the stress on a long journey plus remembering to consciously look at the nearside (which takes phenomenal willpower against the natural urge to look at a bright light) is seriously energy sapping and dangerous.
This should have been legislated against years ago, but it seems the teutonic car men (and now others)can get away with it, check out rule 94 of the highway code.
If you have these lights, and don't get me wrong i believe in good lights, but not at the expense of other road users and above all safety, please reconsider. A normal halogen of 45w is ample, and can fit in the o.e. Miller light.

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Dazzling lights

John is right to be concerned about the risks of headlights dazzling on-coming traffic.
We run a car M.O.T test station and around 30% of the cars we test fail because of incorrectly aligned headlamps or because someone has fitted the bulb upside down and got the 'cut off' in totally the wrong place.
The best way to set up your lights is to drive up to your garage door and check that your beam pattern has a flat top and a 'kick up' to the nearside not the offside. Next wheel the bike backwards about 4 feet, whilst sitting on it, the top of the beam pattern should drop about 1 - 2 inches.
A 35W HID bulb gives a good light and when adjusted correctly is nowhere near as offensive as a badly adjusted 100W halogen which many people use.
I will continue to use my HID lamp and when you come the other way with your 40W miller and tinted specs you might not see me but I will at least see you :p

By the way have you seen what ROSPA and the highway code say about tinted glasses ? :- "Tinted lenses reduce the amount of light available to the eye and therefore information to the brain. As such they are not recommended for driving at night or in conditions of poor visibility. Advertisements for the use of such glasses as aids to night driving or driving in fog are deplored as they are both inaccurate and misleading. The Highway Code advises against their use"

See also :-
http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/advice/driving/eyesight.htm

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069855

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/cgi-bin...d=1&pfmt=1&siteid=39&pname=eyecare/night.html

http://www.laramyk.com/learn/night_driving.html

( This is written to be constructive and not just to wind you up )

Pete