Workshop Machinery and Techniques

Magnetoman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It's interesting that BigEd has decided machining information like this is "Not Vincent Related," and has relegated it to the miscellaneous "Everything Else" forum. Seriously, BigEd, not Vincent related? Seriously!?

Cyborg

VOC Member
Well the second head was much more straight forward. It was in way better shape. Just bolted it onto the plate (which was already trued) and runout in the counterbore was minimal. Just took a skim cut, backed out .121” and faced the muff mating surface. Put a small amount of fine compound on the top of the liner and gave it a very short lapping session just to make sure all was well. You can see the .010 stamp in the head which I’m reasonably sure was done at the factory.
16CF99EF-2335-4EDD-B776-B5BCEBA1E343.jpeg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have to do this on my WOOD Lathe,
For a 92 mm Piston,
That should be a Laugh !,
I see a lot of grinding Barrel to head for me :) .

Cyborg

VOC Member
I have to do this on my WOOD Lathe,
For a 92 mm Piston,
That should be a Laugh !,
I see a lot of grinding Barrel to head for me :) .
That’s how I did it in the past. I have to say that lapping them in was way less stressful than doing that first head. Although… lapping that one would have taken a while. You need a metal lathe Bill… it’ll still turn wood if required.
Just tell the war department that you’re storing it for a friend.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
That’s how I did it in the past. I have to say that lapping them in was way less stressful than doing that first head. Although… lapping that one would have taken a while. You need a metal lathe Bill… it’ll still turn wood if required.
Just tell the war department that you’re storing it for a friend.
Ken,

My little Hercus 9A has a 3phase motor and a VFD with digital read out for rpm. It runs on single phase 220v. It’s a worth while conversion.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Ken, I have a little bit more than you to take out,
Looks bad with some of the holes broken into :) .

Attachments

• TPV Head.jpg
    TPV Head.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 29

Cyborg

VOC Member
Ken,

My little Hercus 9A has a 3phase motor and a VFD with digital read out for rpm. It runs on single phase 220v. It’s a worth while conversion.
I’m pretty much sold on the idea. Did you buy the VFD when you were here?
I need to finish the twin and a renovation before I pull the trigger though. Installing a VFD setup before the heat pump, might cause the marital bliss to wane slightly.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Ken, I have a little bit more than you to take out,
Looks bad with some of the holes broken into :) .
Wishing I had put one of his kits on the Comet. At the time it seemed like a lot of money, but now that toilet paper is closing in on $1.00 per sheet, maybe not so bad.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I don't have the Kit, Just a 92mm Piston, And a standard rear head,
And Crank cases with a BIG hole for the barrel,
I will have to save up and have a word with Conways,
Or if not get a liner and a new muff and find someone to bore it,

Just bought the wife a 40 " telly !! , And she doesn't like it !!!!,
More money down the PAN, Why did I ever get involved ?.

IF ????, That goes well, I might go back to my old idea of a stroked flywheel,
I HAVE spare flywheels and a spare bigend, and a short conrod, = 680 cc , Hope it's not just a dream :) .