F: Frame Will touring handlebars fit on a Prince

kerry

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello, The bars are new Vincent, I am going later this week to look at another prince so maybe will have more idea then, thanks. Kerry

davidd

VOC Member
Dave,

The bars seem fine. There are no "mouse bites" on a stock Series D cowl. Someone has modified the cowl.

Alternative Spares List131.jpg

The cowl (SL1) is mounted without modification other than drilling holes. The SL3 is mounted on the base of the steering stem (FF2), which is the bottom of the FF33AS steering stem). The vertical ears on SL3 receive a bolt through the cowl on both sides. The other support for the cowl is aluminum spacer FF25/1 that sits on top of the steering stem (FF33/AS).

David

kerry

VOC Member
Today, and it took all day ! I fitted another set of handlebars from my friends prince that I compared and I am pleased to say there is a real rear improvement, see attached please. I also fitted the excellent wider muffs. I did manage to alter the dash very slightly, Now instead of the lever going past and touching they are perfect. I think the various bars out there do vary even the so called Vincent straights, Thank you all.
DSCF7171.JPG
Thank you all for your help. much appreciated. Kerry

Attachments

• DSCF7155.JPG
    DSCF7155.JPG
    645.9 KB · Views: 16

kerry

VOC Member
Well spotted. Yes steering damper fitted, first time I have had one on a Vincent, I am advised to leave it on though it restricts movement, I guess it could help at speed not that I do much very fast work. Kerry.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Is it a hydraulic damper mounted crosswise under the steering head? The usual fitting instructions say to make sure the standard steering stops limit fork swing, not the damper.

kerry

VOC Member
I appreciate your concern and advice as I am no expert but yes it is I would think it's fitted correctly as it came from a highly respected Vincent engineer, (not sure if to put others names on Forum without asking)
Again thank you for your help and interest, the forum sure has helped me. Kerry
DSCF7173.JPG

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Interesting fitting, Nicely hidden away, Didn't think you could do it with the fairings.
Learning all the time ! :D .
Always worth fitting to Girdraulics, I think.

kerry

VOC Member
Hi Bill, I am no expert but have been riding Vincent's on and off since 1980 with no steering dampers, My friend said it is of great benefit so must stay on, I assume to stop tank slapping which fortunately I have never had. Kerry.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Lucky you, I have had a few and Don't want anymore !!,
Strange how some people get away with it, I did for many years,
Although I did have a silly one on my Outfit in 1965, Playing silly beggers, I was very young !,
Then Ok for many years, Even my lovely comet started doing it, And I would not ride it for 2 years,
Till I fitted a Hydraulic Damper, It just take a few things to go together,
A bump, a bend, a certain speed, It doesn't have to be fast !.
No Sleep Tonight :D .

Last edited by a moderator: