Whatever next?

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
My comment on the petition above, for what good it will do

TOO MUCH CONTROL OVER THE PEOPLE WHO "WORK" FOR A LIVING NOT PEOPLE WHO ARE TRYING TO JUSTIFY THEIR EXISTENCE CREATING ABSURD LAWS & DEMAND I SALARIES IN THE PROCESS WHICH ARE INDEX LINK !!??
bananaman

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
[QUOTE From the ACU Page:] It is clear to see from the Government Impact Assessment that "when compulsory competitor-to-competitor third party liability insurance was introduced in Finland it effectively ended grassroots motorsport in the country because this cost became prohibitive for the amateur motorsport enthusiast"[/QUOTE]
We should not fog this issue with talk of European Union representatives and their pay or UK membership of the EU.
My understanding of this ruling (I may be wrong) is that it does apply to the UK and the UK government is obliged to implement it. Scroll up and fully read Vibrac's post #47.
What are other EU states doing about this? Other EU states have lots of amateur motorcycle sport competitors who surely aren't happy with compulsory competitor-to-competitor third party liability insurance.
A Europe without grass roots amateur sport would make the path to becoming a professional difficult or impossible. We might then ask the question what future motorsport as a whole.
Perhaps we need to concentrate on this quoted from Vibrac's post #47: the European Motor Insurance Directive (MID) can be changed to remove certain vehicles from the scope of the Directive, and therefore Vnuk. It is here that we have focused considerable effort.

vibrac

VOC Member
Thanks Ed. unfortunately removing certain vehicles (derrogation in EU speak)' means any claims on accidents goes to the insurance back stop funds just like an uninsured driver accident. that means all insurance premiums would increase how long the public will sponsor motor sport like that or before some paper makes a fuss in a world where football and Olympics rule is problematic. Perhaps for Mrs Mays 2 years?

Mike 40M

VOC Member
From a foreigner point of view. Here I think that the problem is solved by a racecource owners thirdparty insurance. All registered vehicles have to be insured, including tractors, ATVs and snowmobiles. Other nonregistered vehicles such as excavators, wheelloaders, and lawnmovers also need to be insured. Although most people don't bother to insure their lawnmovers and nobody cares.

vibrac

VOC Member
In case you thought it had gone away it hasen't the more upbeat pundits say its just taking a long time to go:

until the EU, through the DG FISMA, modifies the text of the motor insurance directive, all EU countries find themselves in a bit of a legislative black hole. The FISMA proposal states that action will be taken in the third quarter of 2016. The third quarter of 2016 has come and gone, but no new publications have been issued. Work is ongoing, but they need to hurry up. If they don't, it won't quite kill motorsports in the EU, but it will create a rather major inconvenience.
(taken from https://motomatters.com/analysis/2016/12/23/no_the_end_is_not_nigh_for_motorsport_in.html)

Lets hope they are right and its not just some more undercover moves..

vibrac

VOC Member
VED
For high cost vehicles, that is vehicles with a list price of more than £40,000, a supplement has been introduced to the standard rate for the first five years in which a standard rate is paid. This additional supplement of £310 applies to all vehicles with a list price of more than £40,000.

Its a good job the old Vinnys have been around for more than five years.....

vibrac

VOC Member
The so called consultation ends at the end of this month
Signing article 50 will NOT prevent the legal pandandrum from rolling on....
But have you signed the petition?
Petition at http://www.fightvnuk.co.uk/
Don't forget the best case scenario at the moment is an increase in your motor insurance to allow motor sport to continue we should try not to even think about the worst....

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
This only applies to Europe, I think there are more Vincent out of Europe than in it
Just managed to do a quick calculation. Looking at last year for bikes known to the VOC (members & non members) it works out at 73% in Europe and 27% rest of the world. For UK alone it equates to 63% of the total.

Before you ask I'm not going to list every country.

Simon