Whatever next?

Steve G

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
If this were true, pedestrians wouldn't be long for this world. Nor little kids riding their bicycles in the street. Luckily, since the sensors have to be capable of detecting a single pedestrian in order to avoid hitting them, and the software capable of avoiding bicyclists, reports of the death of motorcycles are greatly exaggerated....
My understanding is the self-driving car would sense other autonomous vehicles as vehicles, and everything else as objects presumably to be avoided. Therefore a self-driving car coming upon a motorcycle traveling at speed on an open highway would, what? Stop? Swerve? Wait for the motorcycle to cross to the other side of the road? I can see this being an issue that, because of its complexity (ie cost), might spawn legislation that restricts old motorcycles.
There's also the Moral Question surrounding autonomous vehicles that goes something like this: Five people suddenly step out in front of a self-driving car traveling at speed. Should the car go off the cliff and kill its occupant in order to save the pedestrians? Programming the car to sacrifice 1 person in order to save 5 pedestrians. Who would make that call?
The media is blasts how a "majority of people" are in favor of autonomous vehicles. Tech companies are clearly pushing this. They stand to gain so why wouldn't they want this to happen fast. I drive through Silly-Con Valley often and I have a laugh when I see the line of identical Tesslas waiting to exit the freeway at Sandhill Road. This stuff is, to a large extent, not designed by passionate motoring enthusiasts. It's programmers, investment bankers and politicians who mare than likely will work this out together and the rest of us will just have to deal with it.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
My understanding is the self-driving car would sense other autonomous vehicles as vehicles, and everything else as objects presumably to be avoided.
Very little written anywhere on this subject stands up to even the tiniest bit of scrutiny. There are over 250 million vehicles on the road in the U.S. with an average age of 11 years, i.e. 125 million of the vehicles are older than 11 years. Yes, draconian legislation sponsored by tech companies could force all 125 million cars older than 11 years off the road. But, the odds of any such legislation being offered, let alone passing, are nil. Even if it did, and even if all new vehicles immediately incorporated some industry-standard autonomous vehicle identifying signal (which doesn't even exist), it would be a decade before those vehicles would outnumber the old fashioned ones. There are plenty of things worth worrying about that there's no need to make up things to worry about that don't need worrying about.

vibrac

VOC Member
To really get a grip of historic vehicles (UK) you need this
http://www.fbhvc.co.uk/research/_file/246/final-fbhvc-national-survey-report-2016-pdf/
suffice it to say there are over a million pre 85 vehicles out there 29% are motorcycles
Velocette is mentioned as less than 1% we of course join the unwashed as 6% 'others'
perhaps this needs a new thread we have come a long way from the French big brother making us wear their design of gloves or else.

vibrac

VOC Member
More reading
I see the M/C Industry (MCIA) have finally woken up and got a foot in the road lobby door
Its about time. When you hear what been spent on pushbikes as the thousands of miles of narrowed roads for gutter cycleways for non-existant cyclists testify
This makes reasonable reading (cut n paste) but proof of the pudding....
mcia.co.uk/Controls/OpenDocument.ashx?id=72

vibrac

VOC Member
Wonder of Wonders the ACU has actually taken notice of a political move affecting motorcycling
Its another EU type organisation ill thought out clap trap that we should be used to and an example of the sort of thing that was real reason why I for one voted out
Here via the ACU is the first part:
Yesterday, the Government issued a document for public consultation, which gives an option of implementing the European Court decision known as the ‘Vnuk judgment’. The ruling makes it compulsory for anyone using any form of motorised transport to have third party damage and injury insurance. This will affect all participants in all forms of motorsport.

The insurance industry has made it clear to government that third party risks for motorsport activities are uninsurable, not least because of the sheer number of potential vehicle damage claims that would arise. Therefore, if implemented, the Vnuk judgment would wipe out all legal motor and motorcycle sport activity.

The government document states:
UK legislation provides victims of motor vehicle accidents with a route to claiming compensation where the driver is
at fault, where the accident involves a vehicle which is designed for road use and where the accident occurs on a
road or other public place. However, that route to compensation is not currently available to victims of accidents
which occur on private land; or to victims of accidents which are caused by the negligent use of non-road-going
vehicles. Government intervention is required to amend domestic legislation to ensure that victims are compensated
in these instances, an obligation which was clarified by the European Court of Justice in 2014 in the “Vnuk
judgment”.

Apart from the problems this rubbish idea causes how do these people think these things up and spend our money doing so, without thinking through about the consequences? but then do they care? watching bits of the BBC sports awards you would be forgiven for thinking that motor sport especially on two wheels does not exist- Its all a long way from John Surtees winning it back in 1959

vibrac

VOC Member
I dont apologise for bringing this to your attention again. This is how it was put in another club news letter@

THREAT TO UK MOTORSPORT:. Following the landmark ‘Vnuk’ case, the European Court of Justice has ruled that national laws must be changed to ensure that all mechanically propelled vehicles are insured for third-party losses regardless of type of use, in all places, at any time. This applies to everything from Formula One racing cars, to mobility scooters; lawn mowers and antique trams and everything in between (obviously includes all forms of motor sport). The UK Government opened a consultation on Wednesday 21st December, seeking views on two proposed ways forward, you can read more here: www.fightvnuk.co.uk. A petition, http://bit.ly/2i6Cgsf has been started asking that HM Government under no circumstances implements the 'Vnuk' judgment in a way that encompasses vehicles involved in motor and motorcycle sport activities. Please to sign the petition to show the Government the strength of support we have in motor sport

Please note I never mentioned the B**x** word