Vincent twin clutch

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I see Roy says 6" Long and Ed says 7", Have I gone wrong already ? !!

......I wonder if I can make the Jig in Wood, And bits of Dowel, For some of us without a Lathe?

Cheers Bill.
Dear Bill,
I double checked by doing a quick drawing the same as the one Roy did and if you use a base 6" long you will find that hole B4 is in fresh air.:eek:
I don't see why you couldn't make the jig in wood as long as you can be pretty accurate. It might not be as robust as a metal jig but with good hardwood it would probably be OK to check a few clutch shoes as it is unlikely you are going to be doing hundreds.

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Now, No laughing at the back, I am a simple man !!, Not very good with thou's, I work more in feet and inches, And when you come to use this tool, I think you can see, It does not need to be too spot on. Just a bit of wood and a few old bolts. Thanks, Ed and Roy. My clutch was just a bit of junk, I made it up when I stopped Racing, I used a Multi Plate then. So as most of us, I had no idea about spring pressure in the shoes, The funny thing is my Clutches worked quite good, But now even better !!. Mine were miles out, One was too tight and the other too loose, Just been out on the old L/ning type road bike, Going from 2nd to third, With a few rev's on !!, Much better, And coming down is nicer, Well worth the effort to make the tool I think, Cheers Bill.
002.JPG

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Now, No laughing at the back, I am a simple man !!, Not very good with thou's, I work more in feet and inches, And when you come to use this tool, I think you can see, It does not need to be too spot on. Just a bit of wood and a few old bolts. Thanks, Ed and Roy. My clutch was just a bit of junk, I made it up when I stopped Racing, I used a Multi Plate then. So as most of us, I had no idea about spring pressure in the shoes, The funny thing is my Clutches worked quite good, But now even better !!. Mine were miles out, One was too tight and the other too loose, Just been out on the old L/ning type road bike, Going from 2nd to third, With a few rev's on !!, Much better, And coming down is nicer, Well worth the effort to make the tool I think, Cheers Bill.View attachment 13441
Dear Bill,
Great work and a great result. I hoped that posting this information might be helpful to lots of Vincent owners and you have not only proved me right but also shown how simply it can be done.:)
P.S. Next time you've got your woodworking kit out can you make me a couple of pistons for the Rap?;)

litnman

VOC Member
I modified a clutch drum so I could sand new shoes to match a new drum. The centralizer, pins and bushing must be in good condition to work properly.
The drum turns clockwise very slowly while the shoes are kept from turning with a tool on the tool post.
With a slight bit of pressure, turn the clutch carrier plate enough to start the sanding action. The shoes
are pulled out occasionally for inspection. When the sanded pattern covers all the shoe surface, the ends
can then be filed or sanded to complete the operation. It makes for a very smooth clutch.
clutch tool.jpg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Cheers Eddy, I thought it would be too hard for me with the Point this and the Point that !!, But then I remembered I had one of those £20 type Battery vernia, So you just dial it in, I had to switch the Music off and put my Hat on !, Why does a Hat help you think better ? It always works for me !. P.S. Which do you want, Hemi or Squish !!. Cheers Bill.

RonandLinda

VOC Membership Secretary
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
Dear Bill,
Great work and a great result. I hoped that posting this information might be helpful to lots of Vincent owners and you have not only proved me right but also shown how simply it can be done.:)
P.S. Next time you've got your woodworking kit out can you make me a couple of pistons for the Rap?;)

Dear Ed, I don't know if Bill could make you a couple of pistons but he can make a mean Vincent weather vane from bits of wood and a bicycle pedal !
Regards Ron.

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
Ok Big Ed, I'm perplexed. From what I can see your jig is for setting the depth of the plungers. What sets the pressure on the plungers?

Phelps.