Vincent twin clutch

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks a lot, BigEd, for the jig details. I have been meaning to get around to making one of these for years. So now, armed with the Autocad sketch it might spring me in to action - especially as I now have a DRO-equipped mill. Just to be clear, unless I have misunderstood something, I believe there is a typo in the diameter of the Qty 4 "B" holes; they should be 0.3125" right? Not 0.3250"? (Peter is correct it should be 0.3125", Ed.)

I too have used a V2 clutch in my Rapide for a number of years and regularly have to clean and lube the plates to prevent grabbing. It's time to get my trusty Vincent clutch back off the shelf and refurbish it. Far less maintenance!

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

Last edited by a moderator:

timetraveller

VOC Member
No one has mentioned the needle roller thrust race kit I developed a few years ago to ensure that the Vincent primary plate lifted squarely. Several hundred of these have been sold so does this mean that they are now taken for granted or is there a problem which has not fed back to me?

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Thanks a lot, BigEd, for the jig details. I have been meaning to get around to making one of these for years. So now, armed with the Autocad sketch it might spring me in to action - especially as I now have a DRO-equipped mill. Just to be clear, unless I have misunderstood something, I believe there is a typo in the diameter of the Qty 4 "B" holes; they should be 0.3125" right? Not 0.3250"?

I too have used a V2 clutch in my Rapide for a number of years and regularly have to clean and lube the plates to prevent grabbing. It's time to get my trusty Vincent clutch back off the shelf and refurbish it. Far less maintenance!

Peter B
Bristol, UK.
Dear Peter,
Well spotted, This is a typo and the four holes should be 5/16" - 0.3125" diameter. I have edited the drawing and posted it below.

Attachments

• Clutch Shoe Jig Autocad Drawing.jpg
    Clutch Shoe Jig Autocad Drawing.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 156

Rob H

VOC Member
No one has mentioned the needle roller thrust race kit I developed a few years ago to ensure that the Vincent primary plate lifted squarely. Several hundred of these have been sold so does this mean that they are now taken for granted or is there a problem which has not fed back to me?

I use one and have had no problem with it, only issue being that you have to be careful to cut the pushrod to the right length, this is a bit of trial and error process and can take a bit of time. There is also no longer an adjustment screw on the outer plate. Fine adjustment can only be made by the addition of some purpose made shims. I suggested some time ago to the spares company it might be useful to include some of these in the kit.

timetraveller

VOC Member
My intention was that the adjustment would be made by tuning the length of the cable and the adjuster screw in the kick starter cover. Where would you want to put the shims, under the head of the C26 replacement?

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
My intention was that the adjustment would be made by tuning the length of the cable and the adjuster screw in the kick starter cover. Where would you want to put the shims, under the head of the C26 replacement?
I would think if you got it wrong and cut the rod to short you could just put another roller between the two rods and adjust as necessary