E: Engine Vincent pilgrim pump in comparison

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
1570034541781.png

Mr Kemp simply made a dam to hold more oil so that the flow was more constant
he did increase the hole as well I think. The brown represents the oil pool (R of course!)

greg brillus

VOC Member
Does anyone actually know the delivery volume per cycle and the rate at which the plunger turns verses the crankshaft worm gear...........

timetraveller

VOC Member
I can tell you how to work it out but as I cant find an old oil pump plunger I cannot give you the answer. With a worm and worm wheel drive the reduction ratio, with a single start worm, is one to the number of teeth on the worm wheel. For a Vin oil pump, with a single start pump then if you count the teeth on the plunger then that is the ratio. e.g if there are 15 teeth on the plunger then the ratio is 15:1, if there are 16 teeth on the plunger the ratio is 16:1 (Should this read 16:1? Ed)

Last edited:

clevtrev

VOC Member
15 rpm`s equal one reciprocation of the plunger, the travel is 1/4", now you need to calculate the volume of the cut away on the pump, I can`t remember exactly , but it was all covered in MPH back in the 80`s/90`s. I seem to remember about 35 mins to circulate the oil tank at 30 MPH. Remember a Comet will deliver more than a twin for the same MPH, because of the faster RPM. I`ll
see if I can find my original figures.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Classic Biker shows a drawing and a picture of the inside crank /case which is from my engine. On my first trip on the bike six weeks ago of 50 miles, I had done about forty miles and stoped to pick a puller up from a mate and as I stopped leaving the engine running picked up the parcel and returning to the bike noticed the oil pumping out of my filler cap taking the usual path of between oil & petrol tanks cascading down over the engine onto the ground. Nocking up neighbours to get news papers to wipe up the mess and soak up what I could from the neck of the oil tank.
Question:; why after forty miles or so did it suddenly spew forth so much oil ? The only conclusion I can come up with is that the weir stand pipe where the inlet is just behind the end face has come out of location and then emptied the reserve oil gallery. But I'm still getting my usual oil pressure to my cam oil gallery of 1 bar or 15psi . Does one consider that the auxiliary oil pump suction is lower than the scavenge suction of the main pump. D/4 is what I recall doing as this is equivalent to full bore area around the base bearing in mind that the c/case thickens towards the out side edge and it seems a slight rise at the curve of the casting.
Do I strip the motor for the 8th time since having it in 1964 or leave it be as the stand pipe isn't going any where !
STRI OR LEAVE.
bananaman

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Marcus, Are you sure it has not wet sumped ?, And somebody has topped up the oil , While you have been ill.
Good Luck, Bill.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Marcus, the first question I would ask you is had you topped up the oil tank before checking if the sump was full with wet sumped oil.