E: Engine Vincent pilgrim pump in comparison

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Come on Trev', Tell us all about it ??.
It`s simply tolerancing, run out and maybe the original hole placement for the reciprocating pin. What I did was to eliminate the circumferential diameter with the run out of the form cutter on the pump. But then I have found different run outs caused by differing diameters of the gear cutting tool.

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
I would be interested to know what suggestions our knowledgeable toolmaker would suggest for redesigning the Vincent oil pump, and maybe even the Repco Brabham engine, clearly Phil Irving had little idea what he was doing.
He has fitted a gear pump in place of the pilgrim pump on his racer with 1330cc Godet engine, similar to the
Irving Vincent engine of the Horner brothers. He has 125hp at the rear wheel.
However, he has by far left the maker´s aims, perfectly realised by PCV´s chief engineer. Designing a sellable
road bike consists of lots of compromises, not only economical ones.

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
He has fitted a gear pump in place of the pilgrim pump on his racer with 1330cc Godet engine, similar to the
Irving Vincent engine of the Horner brothers. He has 125hp at the rear wheel.
However, he has by far left the maker´s aims, perfectly realised by PCV´s chief engineer. Designing a sellable
road bike consists of lots of compromises, not only economical ones.
Does the toolmaker's bike have a plain high-end bearing? Might explain the need for a different oil pump?

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
I would be interested to know what suggestions our knowledgeable toolmaker would suggest for redesigning the Vincent oil pump, and maybe even the Repco Brabham engine, clearly Phil Irving had little idea what he was doing.
Well there is a very simple solution with a double rotary pump. Even reversable.
Not to be posted here...

Yet.