Vincent Land Speed Racers

Big Sid

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Could you describe your results to the rest of us Bill , and those others who have tried at this challenge also chime in .
We saw readings up to 125 with the twin and 115 with the single on single legs of the course , and the twin broke its tach bracket in two , the rider having to reach down and grab it , holding on to the tach head somehow while doing what else needed doing . Not jetted in for the altitude is a real killer as on this hangs your speed and severe piston damage , and fluctuations in flow flow burn pistons RIGHT NOW . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
We have since fitted a 40 mm Gardner to the 90 bore single . Seemed stronger too , then the ign went south . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Bill . Describe your experiance with the Gardners please . Ever run it on the road so equipped ? How much faster ? Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
What did you use for manifolds with your twin instillation , could I see a photo or two ? Ever run Mikunis , results ? Porting sizes ?.. Sid .

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Sid, My Special was/is a road bike, I sent you a photo, I have only run it in UK, On Airfields, The best recorded was 130mph on Gardners, On a flying 1/4 mile, But it was never the same twice !! I ran them on the road and they were fine, The lack of tickover and fine petrol mist, I did not like. So I went to Delortos, My brother Ron was a welder, So he made my alloy manifolds, The best I got was Average on a flying Kilo of 141.9, on standard gearing = 6,500 revs, Never happy I shot back to pits to gear it up 2 teeth to go for 150 !! I can Dream !! It would only do 136mph. I am over 200lb and over 6' 2", Too Big to race !! I also did road racing and sprinting, Lots of fun, As you say, I did it for 17years, So had a good run, All The Best, Bill.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Great stuff ! My memory's and recall ability are getting so thin now , can't recall the machine . Our Gardener equipped 600 single idles nice and regular , easy to start too , notice no fuel mist , must be the float bowl holding the level that helps . Send me your E address and I'll show you photos of it . Sid .

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Many thanks Sid, You have already sent me photos of your two racers, I got the inlet out to 36mm and I have never used Mikunis, I always did things on a shoe string, No fancy way of testing, Just take it to the track and give it a go, I have had a lot of bad days, I put an extra 6" on the two exhaust pipes, Just to see, !! Took it to a 1/4mile= Rubbish, In the early days it did 13.5sec', With the long ex' 14.2, So I cut 3" off each pipe= 13.9, Cut the other 3" off= Back to 13.5 !! I do things the hard way !! Cheers Bill.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
My drag bike running on straight methanol , 12.5 pistons , 1& 3/8s inch GP2s , Big Port heads , 2inch inlet valves , Mk 2 cams , twin open 2inch pipes
37 inch long , double lash gears with the high low gear ratio . Did the quarter in the high 10s at 140 . Ran only worn rear street tires , no slick and breaking traction the entire quarter mile . Could be heard breaking free as it ran through the lights . Left a black stripe as far as the eye could see . Won 40 trophies . To be young again ! Wish I still had it . If frogs had wings .
Amazing reliable , never broke anything in three years of weekend running . Only thing Failed , ate one cam lobe and its follower . That's it in spite of winding to 7,500 in the gears . Lovely motor . Replaced a few rear tires , changed pistons twice . Methanol ran so cool that the carbs and manifolds would frost over during a run , heads felt warm , barrels hotter , cases felt hot . Ran 50 wt Racing oil , and Hypoid in the transmission . Gears stayed like new . Used a VW inlet valve as a pressure plate pusher working against a BMW
Ball race thrust bearing located in the reversed C26 cup .
Ever seen photos of it ? Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Just put together four shots of the old drag bike if anyone wants to see them . Memories of a misspent youth , but having bitchen fun ! Sid .