V3 Clutch

Holger

Forum User
VOC Member
As a young fella it I had a monthly ritual of pulling out the Commando plates and cleaning and drying them.

Are we going to get into trouble for discussing Nortons on this forum?

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
There is a tax to be paid if you wish to discuss other, lesser, marques on this forum..The tax shall be paid in the currency of my choice, namely single malt scotch whisky of at least 16 years old, preferably a double wood and being cask strength.

nkt267

VOC Member
There is actually a currency shortage in effect here right now... Mainly as a result of over consumption..
Having just returned from the Hallowed Alba and visited many Holy Sites, I may be in a good position to even mention Tr....hs ..John

Holger

Forum User
VOC Member
20120901 Commando1.jpg20120901 Commando2.jpg

A couple of photos taken just after total rebuild...

Holger

Forum User
VOC Member
Firstly... Thanks for all the input on this question.

I checked the clutch in terms of running true on the shaft and there was no problem on that front.

I dismantled the clutch and got stuck into the steel plates with some 600 wet and dry. I dipped the plates in turps to add the "wet" bit to the wet and dry. I had this suggested to me by a Ducati owner who reckons there is an issue with the steel plates ending up with a glaze when the clutch is used hard. There was a noticeable change in the surface of the steel plates after rubbing them down, going from shiny with noticeable marking to a flat matt metal finish.

On reassembly and using ATF instead of 0W30, the clutch is much, much better and is now "amost human". Not as easy as the dry clutch on my Commando but pretty good. I will wait the mandatory 4 months or 400 miles before coming to a final assessment on the outcome.

Thanks again to all those who contributed.

Holger

rapide049

Non-VOC Member
Clutch plates are the problem
Try Kevlar plates (Talk to Neil ) some gave problems some didn't
I use ATF in both mine and work great

Holger

Forum User
VOC Member
Had a brief exchange with Neal. He is about to change to a new type of steel plate which has dimples in it. The dimples are pressed in to stress both sides of the plate to stop it from warping but also designed help the release of the clutch. They won't be available until September.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
I have Too a V3, works very fine (with sprocket on low axial movement..and all allined and in dead centre) and Harly D primary chain case oil (better for chain than ATF) Further to improve, I have made a drain in the clutch compartiment to let oil off every 500km,(or complete rally trip) and refill on the chain, the oil comming off is very dirty and I guess the reason why it might drag or slip.

Vincent