V3 Clutch

Holger

Forum User
VOC Member
I have had a persistent issue with the V3 clutch in my Rapide where it has propensity to drag and to stick shut if left with the clutch lever out.

I have taken a number of steps to address this issue including changing the height of the posts and springs, reducing the number of plates to increase the clearance, reducing the oil viscosity, and have most recently changed the fibre plates. However, the problem remains manifest to the point where I am not doing the drive train any favours when trying to get the bike into gear with the engine running.

Has anybody else:

1. Had a similar problem?

2. Solved the problem by some other method not described above?

Somebody has suggested to me that the metal plates develop a super thin glaze which causes the sticking, and which is cured with wet and dry and some added elbow grease.

If anybody has tried that, or if there is any other helpful advice out there, I'm keen to hear it.

Thanks

Holger

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I had a similar issue with one in an early Rapide a couple of months ago, to which the owner was blaming the shifter mechanism.....I managed to get the clutch working much better, but noticed the assembly wobbling like a swash plate this with the machine on it's rear stand and spinning the back wheel whilst in top gear. All while holding the clutch lever in......turns out that the gearbox mainshaft is bent.....so no matter how you try the clutch will always drag until the shaft is renewed........Greg.

vibrac

VOC Member
Are you using a ET27/2SS (Clutch Adj multi plate clutch) from the Spares Company?
"every little helps"
(as the giant who rules all our town councils planning committees says :-()

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Maybe this? ;-)

torque4002-wht-500x500.jpg

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I have a vee-two which is similar. With kevlar Barnett plates installed and 100 mls of type F ATF, it is flawless. The type f ATF also fixed up my dragging Commando clutch a few years back.

Holger

Forum User
VOC Member
I have modified the primary to have the clutch running in the primary chain oil. I've tried ATF and also 0W30 engine oil.

Interesting about the Commando, as I have always thought they were a dry clutch and I have been running my Commando that way for more than 30 years. Much easier now with a toothed belt primary.

Holger

Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks, Greg.. It's a new lead which is the kind of thing I am looking for. I'll let you know what I find out.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
With oil or ATF at the recommended level in my MK3 Commando primary it splashes everywhere and soaks the clutch. I have Barnett run-in- oil kevlar plates in the Commando as well.

Last edited: