Twin starts but won't run

davidjoyner

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi - i went over to Pazon ign system. Only had one problem from memory, the drawing showing which way round the stator plate fits is mirror imaged, or180 deg out...probably my brain that is the prob here, but after I switched it, zoom zoom. The Pazon has a rev limiter that needs setting as well. I mounted the little brainy bit under the battery holder and ran the wiring under the bike to the sender unit, I run BP6ES plugs and they are still fine after 3000 mls, they used to fail after about a 1000mls.

Howard

VOC Member
Bill, I owe you a pint.

New coil arrived, better spark but same story.

Decided maybe the people who said it was carburation were right, because I couldn't fault their logic. Stripped the carbs, blew through all the jets and the filter, synchronised everything (yet again) and guess what.... no change.

Not sure why, but I set the timing to 34 degrees and ...... first kick starting and revs quite nicely. It's not quite there yet but more than 90%. A bit of weekend fettling and the old lady should be fighting fit again. Minor problem, no MoT or tax yet, so short trips down the lanes only.

H

Tim Kirker

VOC Member
Howard

After having my Seeley on a rolling road for half a day, I ended up setting the ignition (good old fashioned Lucas Rita) at 28 BTDC, vast improvement. The first replica Black Shadow engine (new BTH "mag") went on the same rolling road when it was fitted in my Rap and we ended up retarding that by something like 10 degrees (it was probably set higher than 38 initially). I've since retarded the proper Rap engine (Rita again) by 5 degrees or so and it's much better.

Tim Kirker

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Bill, I owe you a pint.

Decided maybe the people who said it was carburation were right, because I couldn't fault their logic. Stripped the carbs, blew through all the jets and the filter, synchronised everything (yet again) and guess what.... no change.

Not sure why, but I set the timing to 34 degrees and ...... first kick starting and revs quite nicely. It's not quite there yet but more than 90%. A bit of weekend fettling and the old lady should be fighting fit again. Minor problem, no MoT or tax yet, so short trips down the lanes only.

H[/QUOTE
No MOT? Careful Howard, last July I fell off my Shadow due to sudden deflation of the rear tyre caused by a damn great nail. Someone sent for the police and an amulance; no serious damage to me or bike. Soon after, same policeman called to check my douments-guess what? Test Certificate was three weeks out of date. Nothing was heard until December when a summons arrived. Nothing for it but to plead guilty-result £180 fine. Had there been any insurance involvement the claim would have been denied.

Howard

VOC Member
Bill, I owe you a pint.

H[/QUOTE
No MOT? Careful Howard, last July I fell off my Shadow due to sudden deflation of the rear tyre caused by a damn great nail. Someone sent for the police and an amulance; no serious damage to me or bike. Soon after, same policeman called to check my douments-guess what? Test Certificate was three weeks out of date. Nothing was heard until December when a summons arrived. Nothing for it but to plead guilty-result £180 fine. Had there been any insurance involvement the claim would have been denied.

I know what you mean, but how do we get a bike fit for MoT without a roadtest? I suppose it would have to be a trailer job, unless they need to start the engine.

H

Howard

VOC Member
Howard

After having my Seeley on a rolling road for half a day, I ended up setting the ignition (good old fashioned Lucas Rita) at 28 BTDC, vast improvement. The first replica Black Shadow engine (new BTH "mag") went on the same rolling road when it was fitted in my Rap and we ended up retarding that by something like 10 degrees (it was probably set higher than 38 initially). I've since retarded the proper Rap engine (Rita again) by 5 degrees or so and it's much better.

Tim Kirker

Tim

While reading up on the problem, I found an article which said that more efficient engines run with LESS advance, I'd always thought it was MORE. Can the electronics be making the engine that much more efficient or is it just the crap petrol we have now?????

H

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Tim, What have you done !! I thought I was pushing my luck at 34, I keep looking at my pipes to see if they discolour, I am still running in so it's early days. back in the 70s my special ran 26 BTDC on 12 1/2 to one pistons on the road with 5 star petrol !! Nobody believed me. Last year just befor going to the west bay meet, I found the springs had broken in the D distributer, It was kicking back on starting, they are 35 years old!!, So I know I am a bad man but I just turned the dist' back a bit and off I went, On the way a Buel showed me how well it went, 2 miles down the road guess who was up his chuff. My L'ning is on Rita same as you, Dare I put it back to 28?? I am getting a bit old to play, But I might have a go !. Nice to hear from you, All The Best Bill.

Tim Kirker

VOC Member
Hi Bill

I expressed the same concerns to the guy driving the rolling road. He said just look at the power curve - it was better and smoother right through the rev range (at least to 5500). The engine clearly likes it, forget the book . . . It's been set like that for years (10 or more?) with no ill effect. It had the added benefit of drastically reducing the horrible flat spot that has always plagued the Seeley at around 1800 rpm.

Tim

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Tim

or is it just the crap petrol we have now?????

H
YES!! I tried the 34deg. thing here in Washington State on our petrol and the bike went flat on it's face. Put it back to 38 and ran great. I can even duplicate the same results with the Series A. As soon as you retard the spark, she slows right down.
Who'd Have Thunk?:confused::confused::confused:
Cheers, John