Twin starts but won't run

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello John, Sorry you wasted your time, No two vin's are the same, I think Tims special has very long inlet manifolds. I remember years ago a USA article on Ram Stacks, I think it works out if the length from the inlet valve to the end of the carb bellmouth on mk2 cams is 14 inches you get a mild supercharge. I wonder what your petrol is made of ??. Some time ago on the Forum, A bloke from AUS told us about special spark plugs that cost a lot and were very hard, I had to try them, What a pain that was, the silly thing was, The bike was fine before. Is that why we run these old bikes, Something to play with ??. All The Best, Bill.

Howard

VOC Member
Hello John, Sorry you wasted your time, No two vin's are the same, I think Tims special has very long inlet manifolds. I remember years ago a USA article on Ram Stacks, I think it works out if the length from the inlet valve to the end of the carb bellmouth on mk2 cams is 14 inches you get a mild supercharge. I wonder what your petrol is made of ??. Some time ago on the Forum, A bloke from AUS told us about special spark plugs that cost a lot and were very hard, I had to try them, What a pain that was, the silly thing was, The bike was fine before. Is that why we run these old bikes, Something to play with ??. All The Best, Bill.

I remember the ram stacks thing. I worked the exhaust length out at 34" and the inlet (as you say) 14" - if I'd used them both on the comet, the bellmouth would have been further back than the end of the exhaust.

And, yes that's why we have old bikes - modern bikes have no soul, and don't need us tinkerers - but they're good for blowing off steam when you've tried 39 different timing positions on the Vin, without success, and want to kick something.

H

timetraveller

VOC Member
Don't forget chaps that tuned length inlet tracts only work at certain revs. I find that with MkIIs correctly timed one has significant blow back from the carburettor bell mouth until the engine gets to 4,000 rpm, then it disappears.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Interestingly, the Petty Manx gives optimum performance at 34 degrees BTDC (13.8:1 cr, on avgas) with both Lucas 2MTT mag, and super duper electronic PVL system. The only difference I can see is that the mag won't spark NGK 10 face-discharge plugs, and the PVL will.