Misc: Everything Else Starting Problem - Series 'C' BIG Single

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Great news Jez, air cooled engines don’t like running when stationary, especially on hot days, they will overheat, I guess the full advance of the ignition could also be a little off, and if it is also running weak, take care……

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Bobs still in business he did warn us about high temperatures and belts after we cooked the clutch trying to go round the goose neck at Mallory we fitted a new belt as well as new plates. Dont forget to calculate your NEW primary ratio it wont necessarily be the same as chains....
Yes it did cook those fibre plates going down to Shepton Mallet -huge queues of traffic for about 5 miles -burnt out good and proper, but melted the seal on the clutch bearing, and it stopped going round effectively building up the friction and heat. Had to scrape poly belt off the Clutch drum. Bronze plates now, and good ventilation -hidden though (big gap underneath, small slits front back too, and meshed clutch inspection cover -should do the trick). The new front pulley was same as last 30T, keeps the comet ratio and for T10 or AT10 belts £57 not bad -that's machined to spec too. I did go with a high temp belt, which is not much more than standard about £27 -so worth it. If going for the AT20 belt that will carry up to 200nh which is pretty impressive...normal T10's 70nh -AT10 bit stronger depending on manufacturer -very unlikely to snap.

I went with this one, 88 toothed belt (and a Norton Commando Belted Clutch basket from RGM Norton) -AT10 Pulley https://bepltd.com/products/at10-pilot-bore-timing-belt-pulley-25mm-wide-choose-number-of-teeth

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Great news Jez, air cooled engines don’t like running when stationary, especially on hot days, they will overheat, I guess the full advance of the ignition could also be a little off, and if it is also running weak, take care……
Yes indeed Peter -super cautious -will need to check through the system and ensure it's all doing what it should -will wait for the new pulley to be fitted, and I'll order leads and caps tomorrow, and the rest of the snag list before starting it again -that was enough for today . .I'll go and check plug now...very curious about what state that's in. Don't think we're getting early detonation at all, ran reasonable well, and started to smooth out. Just quickly dipped at the end and stalled...but then with every hiccup a new baby makes you wonder if something is up, and think the worst until you get to know what it's up to by sound intuitively...

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I don’t like to be a harbinger of doom Jez, but your engine is so special, John Renwick’s creation, if the engine does overheat and suffer a partial seizure, where would you get a replacement barrel and piston, even rings could be a problem, I hope that slowing of the engine was not in fact nipping up with overheating.

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
no -checked that one, kicked over again straight away after it stalled while hot to check, popped the 2nd plug out and had smooth rotation on the kickstart lever by hand...I did consider that one, but thankfully it appears to be fine, just hot.

Whipped plug out and looks, well ok I think -got a bit of a tan, glazing possibly? And some carbonising but looks to my eye pretty healthy -suspect the 36mm carb will do it, and calm it down too with luck.

Attachments

• image (94).jpg
    image (94).jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 16

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Plug looks a bit wet to me ?.

1500 revs will make it hot, A new built engine has oil on the outside which makes it smell hot as well ?,
If it sounds flat when throttle blipped it might be too retard, but I don't think it will be ?,
If it spits back though the carb' It too week,
I would think it's too rich , by the plug ?.
So was this with the small carb' ?,
As I have told you before , Slow running mixture is really pilot and slide.
Well Done Jez.

Last edited:

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Yes, parts are expensive (so is speed apparently) -JE 100mm piston is at least £400, Carrilo Con rod and the Nicasil 100mm lined Barrel came from Conways...dread to think what that cost. Also want to get those longer pushies too, few bits and bobs.

With it's pedigree it would be a real shame for it to languish in a garage, put out to pasture, reserved for lazy riding days ...needs to be at the very least purposed with being run at a few events once it's sorted, and there's some sorting to do first...I'm looking at a few next year possibly as a good starting point, engine was made for straight lining...rude not to run it and have a target to aim for.

Just ironing it out first and seeing what it does, and is capable of might be the best starting point presently -early days.

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Plug looks a bit wet to me ?.

1500 revs will make it hot, A new built engine has oil on the outside which makes it smell hot as well ?,
If it sounds flat when throttle blipped it might be too retard, but I don't think it will be ?,
If it spits back though the carb' It too week,
I would think it's too rich , by the plug ?.
So was this with the small carb' ?,
As I have told you before , Slow running mixture is really pilot and slide.
We Done Jez.
That was the 36mm Bill, not the 30mm Premiere. Plug looks wet, but slightly glazed? Got a shine -could that be from....Easystart? ...you know it could be. Next start up will be with new plug again, will need to get a few more of those.

It was just ticking over on it's own, slide is in a good place, with a slither -25 thou gap at the inlet facing end (approx).
No spitting back at all -maybe a little rich on the pilot -main is 380, pilot 17 I think...

Blipped the throttle twice, first time struggled to keep up, tried again a few seconds later -smoother.

And yes, oil smoke on the outside burning off -plenty of that!

Last edited: