Starter motor problem

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Bill, Trev thinks you are flooding it, Which is too much for the starter, I always said to my brother to use the valve lifter, Like they do on BSA's. Might be an option to clear it ? Good Luck, Bill.

highbury731

VOC Member
A while ago I saw a NorVin with decompressors fitted in the 'second spark plug' position, similar to RE ones. Instead of a control cable, you just push on the blue head of the compression release valve, and after a few turns of the motor, it stops decompressing. I think the decompressor valves were for a Husqvarna chain saw, with a 10mm thread

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
"All Godet Eglis use the Grosset starter"

He did use them for awhile, but had too many problems with shear pins letting go, sprags blowing up etc and switched to a Harley Starter with proper bendix arrangement and ring gear. He has his crankcases cast with a little bell housing on thd bottom primary side rear. The starter mounts there and drives through a/ring gear behind the clutch. He has been using this Harley starter, Bendix and ring gear arrangement for at least three years now. I very nearly purchased this setup from him for my Egli project bike, had all the pricing etc, then he changed his mind and would not sell to me.
Glen

greg brillus

VOC Member
Glen, this is exactly how the RTV engines were that Terry Prince and Rodney Brown built back in the nineties, although their original intension was to use a belt drive, this did not eventuate. They instead relied on the normal triplex chain primary, to which the oil from the primary caused continual trouble for the low mounted starter motor. I rebuilt one of these engines a couple of years ago, and we changed to a belt, which was no mean feat in itself, had to incorporate an idler pulley......a bit of a pain really, but it saved the starter from being drowned in oil........Greg.

clevtrev

VOC Member
"All Godet Eglis use the Grosset starter"

He did use them for awhile, but had too many problems with shear pins letting go, sprags blowing up etc and switched to a Harley Starter with proper bendix arrangement and ring gear. He has his crankcases cast with a little bell housing on thd bottom primary side rear. The starter mounts there and drives through a/ring gear behind the clutch. He has been using this Harley starter, Bendix and ring gear arrangement for at least three years now. I very nearly purchased this setup from him for my Egli project bike, had all the pricing etc, then he changed his mind and would not sell to me.
Glen
He does indeed, that very one was designed by Franois Grosset, so is also a Grosset starter.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
This is not what Patrick told me. He said that after having problems with the Grosset sprag type starter he had come up with the adaptation of the Harley starter to the Vincent design himself and had spent a great many hours doing so. I have a 2011 email from him in which he describes the way the new starter works and then states that "his technology is only for his customers" meaning someone who is buying an entire bike rather than just cases, as I required. Prior to this email he was willing to sell the cases, but that changed when he saw that my bike was somewhat Egli like. If Francois Grosset did in fact design this and is producing a Bendix type starter for Vincents, then there are a good number of us who would be very interested in t.
know Chris Kleps had John McDougall install a Grosset starter on his Egli at least a year after the correspondence I had with Patrick Godet.

Glen

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
jammed up again

to continue-
Chris KlepsGrosset starter was installed a year or so after my discussions with Godet and is the sprag type. It has given quite a bit of trouble.
So a Bendix type if available to the masses, would be a pretty popular item, especially for big capacity high compression engines

vibrac

VOC Member
I still fancy starting pistol blanks and a firing mechanism in a spare rear plug hole...:D

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Do we need these things ? I used to start my bike with 12 to 1 pistons, With a kick start bent up to miss 2" pipes, ie not a lot of leverage ! If you have a Dave Hills stand and drop the valve lifter at the bottom of the kick, You should be OK, Cheers Bill

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I'm about to find out, 1360 ccs, 10.5 to one with the dreaded T Prince squish heads, converted Honda cb 750 kickstart.
Will add four inches to the kickstart first. Right now it is 2.5" shorter than a standard Vincent scythe.