Starter motor problem

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Argh! not the dreaded Honda kickstart it ain't the length its the angle (as the art mistress said to the Gardener)

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
I used to kickstart mine all the time with 10.5:1 and 998cc. It was never easy especially as there is no facility for a centre stand on an Egli and mine is fitted with clip-ons which make it much harder to get your weight over the kickstart.
That was more than five years ago and I am definitely getting older by the day! Now at 63 I can't get the bike over compression at all with the kickstart.

Back to the starter motor, I have today managed to remove the armature. It was held in by a c-clip underneath the aluminium end cap which I wrongly assumed was the bearing. I've cleaned up the commutator, including the spaces between them and lubricated the planetary gears and bearings, which were rather dry. Just waiting for the new brushes to arrive and will re-assemble.
Bill

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I know Francois tells you not to use the V/lifter, But with your setup and Greg and Vibrac + Reg useing the lifter , Thats what I would go for, Cheers Bill.

clevtrev

VOC Member
jammed up again

to continue-
Chris KlepsGrosset starter was installed a year or so after my discussions with Godet and is the sprag type. It has given quite a bit of trouble.
So a Bendix type if available to the masses, would be a pretty popular item, especially for big capacity high compression engines
The bendix type requires a new drive side case.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Vibrac, now i've done it i make you right about the honda kickstart! The vin quadrant only gives around 45 degrees of movement, kooks like a re-design of the quadrant and pinion is required to make this "peice of junk" workable.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I used the cb 750 kickstart with the 1000cc engine when that was in the Special frame, it worked great for that. I tried to use the stock Vincent scythe, but with rearsets amd clip ons the right knee ends up planted firmly against the kickstart footpiece pivot, very painful after about 2 miles.
The cb 750 kicker required a bend and then it worked fine. I am sure it will need to be made longer to give adequate leverage against the bigger, higher compression engine.
Glen

vibrac

VOC Member
In my opinion the only true way for an Egli kickstart is the standard one
and get real clever with folding footrests and gear change foot pieces
I have seen some real neat behind the lever and down ones and also some sprung fold up toe pieces
anything better than a Hernia Honda

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Folding%20rearset.jpg
Like this, Vibrac?, Not mine !! Too clever for me. Cheers Bill.

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
I've used a standard kickstart but also found it is in the way of your shin when riding. To prevent this I set it lower on the splines and modified it to allow the foot part to fold more than 180 degrees so it would tuck under my folding footrest. Surprisingly this still worked despite the much reduced swing of the kickstart.

I now have a kickstart which I saw in a magazine many years ago, featured on an "Ogri" Norvin. This folds next to the splines, forward, out of the way of my leg. Downside is it's a monstrous device which looks out of place.

Bill

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
The only negative I found with the Honda kickstart is that it is too short. There are a couple of versions of the cb750 kicker, a short and a long.
I have the long one here gives a 10" long footpiece to spline shaft centre distance. The standard Vincent item gives 12.5". The Vincent kicker cleared the folding rearset footpeg, but was in a poor resting position for riding, most painful after a short while. I rode the bike with the Vincent kicker on there for a couple thousand miles and was relieved to replace it with the Honda item
The Honda kicker tucked in perfectly out of the way when riding and gave enough leverage for me to start the 998 8 to one temporary engine.
For the large High compression engine, it remains to be seen as to what will be needed to roll it over.
Glen