Misc: Everything Else Series 'D' Speedo Drive Threads Stripped

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Oh yes! Why not???? I can see a fortune in my future. Once a year when some one needs one I can spend 1/2 hour reminding myself what thread size it is, by reliving several suggestions, getting MM to unveil his travelling microscope and measuring thread angle and pitches, and perhaps by then we have differentiated the slight 2 1/2 degree difference in a 70 years old worn out thread, changed our mind several times, and then turn up the little blighter from some obscure alloy best suited to the rugged application. Now don't get me started on actually turning the old threads off the old housing and installing this little little monster.

I'm off to lease a big Chevy SUV, and have a body wrap applied which is significant to such a repair, build a website hosted on some massive server in Texas to handle all the traffic and then just sit back and watch the money roll in.

You want in on the ground floor? I'm thinking around US$ 1.5M for a 26.1456739 share

Sound good?

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Oh yes! Why not???? I can see a fortune in my future.
I'm jealous. You have thousands of Vincent owners to draw on for making your fortune manufacturing threads. I've received similar suggestions for manufacturing some of the special items I had to make for my 1928 Ariel, so my potential customer base means my fortune will be smaller than yours, even ignoring the fact your fortune will be in Canadian dollars.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
It seems only fair that I pay you a royalty, even tho' my thread form will no doubt offend your fine sense of correctness!
To be fair, you only should pay a royalty if you grind your lathe tool to the BSB thread form. Although, it should be worth something to now know that KTB completely screwed up in stating it was BSC. One has to wonder what other screwups of similar magnitude are in that book.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
What could have been:
Post #1: how do I fix somewhat bad threads on my speedometer drive?
Post #2: teflon tape

But, 29 posts later and we're still not done...

Admit it, learning that the Zamac alloy expands with time (as it also is claimed to do with BSA oil pump housings), and that the thread form is the unusual British Standard Brass, and that KTB got it wrong, has to be at least mildly interesting.

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
It's really quite amusing. I suggest we have Robert locked up more often to see what other interesting things he can do to old Vincent parts.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
I just love the engineering techniques used here on the forum, at one end of the scale we have Teflon tape to fix a flogged thread and at the other end a high power micorscope for making sure the exact thread pitch is recreated within a few tenths of a degree of pitch. Only Vincent owners.