F: Frame Snapped Rear Mudguard Strut

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I can't see the machine but it sounds like it's box stock which means it isn't ready for prime time on any street. Try an emergency stop, call Ian Savage and ask him about his experience with stock brakes.
The bike was restored pretty much to stock spec in the early nineties. Only upgrades have been Rita ignition/12v conversion, Alton, electric start, D stand and indicators.
Agree, ride comfort/suspension and brakes need sorting. Both are restored to original spec. The Avo shock looks a good idea and quite quick to fit. Brakes upgrade will take time, money and research.
I’ll have to use them as they are in the meantime. I’ve adjusted them as per the handbook.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have alloy brake plates with rear brake arms fitted and mine stops really well (the rear arms are about 50% longer). Fitting the arms made a big difference for little cost, they even turn out instead of inwards to clear the air scoops.

I have just had the front brake on my Brough superior relined by Saftek with their "soft, high friction" linings and they have made an incredible difference to that.

danno

Non-VOC Member
I have alloy brake plates with rear brake arms fitted and mine stops really well (the rear arms are about 50% longer). Fitting the arms made a big difference for little cost, they even turn out instead of inwards to clear the air scoops.
Looks like a worthwhile upgrade. I take it this isn’t a kit that’s available.
My Rap brakes are all standard with new linings fitted. Front brake squeals
a fair bit and it feels like the cable is elastic.
Bit of flexing going on somewhere.

Not sure if there’s much that can be done to improve the original setup but any mod that’s straight forward to add or fit would be good.

vibrac

VOC Member

I have just had the front brake on my Brough superior relined by Saftek with their "soft, high friction" linings and they have made an incredible difference to that.
Interesting Chris
With the twin racer the front brake is the limiting factor we are restricted to the original drums but were allowed to fit twin leading shoes this we did by having a thick Cad Cam set of plates made and retained the standard shoes we used the Saftek AM4 replacement lining (is that the same as you describe?) I don't think we could use anything else as after a race you could fry an egg on the plates and Ben suffers from arm pump after a race trying to squeeze the bar lever so longer levers at the brake end would make that worse. Given our power and superb road holding the only thing a modern Manx has on us is retardation. Hey Ho
1661504597146.jpeg

greg brillus

VOC Member
If you have to be period correct, whats stopping you using a 4 leader Manx front wheel hub in your Vincent. who says you have to keep all factory fitted parts.........So no Norvins or similar allowed because they arent factory bikes.........

vibrac

VOC Member
If you have to be period correct, whats stopping you using a 4 leader Manx front wheel hub in your Vincent. who says you have to keep all factory fitted parts.........So no Norvins or similar allowed because they arent factory bikes.........
What you say is technically possible but there are other factors not of a technical nature

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Interesting Chris
With the twin racer the front brake is the limiting factor we are restricted to the original drums but were allowed to fit twin leading shoes this we did by having a thick Cad Cam set of plates made and retained the standard shoes we used the Saftek AM4 replacement lining (is that the same as you describe?) I don't think we could use anything else as after a race you could fry an egg on the plates and Ben suffers from arm pump after a race trying to squeeze the bar lever so longer levers at the brake end would make that worse. Given our power and superb road holding the only thing a modern Manx has on us is retardation. Hey Ho
View attachment 52788

Mine isn't the same as the AM4 replacement, they list 4 materials , Yours is the one of which is for racing , mine is the Standard Duty, soft, quick bedding in, medium to high friction, so possibly not up to racing.