Series C Rapide - starting after 8 year layoff

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have 'Know thy beast' 2nd edition and an old copyof Paul Richardson's book.Also Russell from Vinparts has kindly sent me the above article on lubicating the engine before statup.

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
4, Remove spark plugs
replace them into the plug caps and 'earth' them out somewhere on the bike while turning the motor over Magnetos dont like producing a whole heap of voltage (spark) without somewhere for it to go, ie the spark they produce if not discharged somewhere outside the mag, the earthed plugs in this case, will possibly find a way to earth inside the Magneto damaging it.
It's simple to do just wrap a bit of wire around the thread and maybe a pushrod tube etc.
if you're doing this with petrol leaking etc make sure it doesn't ignite is etc!
Magnetos always have safety break screws fitted to them to prevent that kind of damage,one for a single and two for a twin

danno

Non-VOC Member
HiThis is one long oil change!Not sure where the gearbox drain plug is located.Lools like it could be the large brass nut on the lower front corner of the gearbox/kickdtart cover,next to the.exhaust pipe.One of the books states it's behind the kickstart cover.Any help appreciated.Dan

Howard

VOC Member
HiThis is one long oil change!Not sure where the gearbox drain plug is located.Lools like it could be the large brass nut on the lower front corner of the gearbox/kickdtart cover,next to the.exhaust pipe.One of the books states it's behind the kickstart cover.Any help appreciated.Dan

Don't take that off!!! That's the kickstart shock absorber (If I'm understanding you).

In the technical section on this site find drawing M032 part A26 with washer A27. The kickstart cover screws onto an aluminium plate, the aluminium plate is screwed to the gearbox, the drain plug is in the gearbox behind the aluminium plate. Look under and behind the kickstart cover, and aluminium plate.

If in doubt, just check there's oil up to the end of the dipstick. It'll be fine until you find someone to show you exactly where the plug is.
H

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Danno, in view of the number of questions you have raised on the forum surely the time has come when you need an experienced Vincent owner to visit you and give you some guidance. There's plenty of them in Hertfordshire. Anyway, the gearbox drain plug is hidden from view but still readily accessible behind the big alloy plate on which the kickstart cover is mounted.

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Herts & Beds section meet this Sunday

Hi Danno.

If you have time, come over to the "Silver Ball" transport cafe on the A10 south of Royston this Sunday.
There should be a reasonable turn out of us from arround 1130 onwards.

Best of luck
Neil

danno

Non-VOC Member
Fuel tap.jpg

Hi
Sorry was unable to make Silver Bull cafe yesterday.
Would like to pop down with the Vin soon though.

It's all primed and ready as per Ron Kemp's article but fuel is leaking badly from the LH fuel tap.
I've got some corks from Russell at Vinparts but cannot work out how they are fitted onto
the tap plunger.
If the end unscrewed that would make sense but don't think it does.
Picture included.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Dan

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
Oh Danno Danno...see my earlier post - ok here it is again:
Re tap corks:

- Drain tank

- Remove plungers

- Boil in water for 10 minutes

- Remove from boiling water, dry and immediately immerse in castor oil - obtainable from your local chemist.

- When cool re-fit.

Even if you can replace the corks, some are rivetted in, you should still perform the above operation before fitting.

Ernie Ernie

danno

Non-VOC Member
Yes,did read it earlier.
So this method should rivive the old ones? Need to get some castor oil.
Shame I can't get the new ones on.
Thanks
Danno Danno