Series C Rapide - starting after 8 year layoff

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Did you unscrew banjo bolt A22 from the right hand connection labeled "D" here? Is the oil hose still connected to assembly "J"? "J" is a feature that shuts off if you disconnect the hose there and keeps the oil in the tank. If it is connected, remove it and flush and blow the line clean, in case it is plugged. Then re-connect and see if the tank empties better.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Hi
I've only unscrewed one of the banjo bolts labelled 'D'.The one at the bottom end of the larger pipe.
The hose is still attached to assembly 'J'. I'll have a go at removing and cleaning it.
Thanks

danno

Non-VOC Member
Ok thanks. I'll wait for their return.
Have removed the hose and unit 'J' but hardly any oil.
Would disconnecting pipe/banjo A48/A52 on underside of fuel tank help?

bmetcalf

VOC Member
No, it is connected to a tube inside the tank that squirts oil where you can see it when you remove the oiltank cap. Its outlet is above the oil level and therefore wouldn't drain anything.

So you unscrewed "J" from the tank?,, If there is oil left in the tank, it should have come out. It may be possible that there is so much muck that it is blocking that opening. Conways sells a "manhole cover" that you can install in your tank to make a thorough cleaning possible. You would have to do a lot of dismantling to do the cleaning.

Have you tried sticking a stiff wire in the "J" hole to see if it is blocked? Maybe what appears to be an oil level ion the tank is just shiny sludge on the bottom. Try probing it to see if it is a level or a sludge layer.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Thanks.I've removed 'J' from the tank so should nothing stopping the oil. There's about 7mm of oil in the bottom of the tank but when using stiff wire inthe threaded' J' hole it stops after a few centimetres.Feels like an angled passage rather than a blockage.

timetraveller

VOC Member
danno please get in touch with some of your local Vincent owners. If you are not careful you are going to damage something. There is a gauze filter above the main oil feed outlet and poking about in there is not going to do it any good. It will not take them long to put you on the correct road and you will learn much more quickly and cheaply that way. If I was nearer I would help you myself but I am too far away.

danno

Non-VOC Member
I've removed the main feed outlet with attatched gauze filter intact to clean it.
I think I'll renew the oil anyway even with a little left in and I'll try to get in touch with some local owners aswell.
Thanks
Dan

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
Re tap corks:

- Drain tank

- Remove plungers

- Boil in water for 10 minutes

- Remove from boiling water, dry and immediately immerse in castor oil - obtainable from your local chemist.

- When cool re-fit.

Even if you can replace the corks, some are rivetted in, you should still perform the above operation before fitting.