Series C Rapide - starting after 8 year layoff

Comet Rider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Danno

The Herts & Beds section are currently meeting at the "Hermit of Redcoats" at Titmore Green just out side Stevenage.
We meet most Tuesdays from arround 8PM

We maybe having to look at a new venue due to the landlady and landlord leaving due to bancrupcy

When you join up please feel free to drop me an email or PM thru' the forum.
Graham our editor and forum boss can give you my contact details, but I'd rather not put them in the public section

Best of luck
Neil

danno

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the help.
If there's anyway I can do this without the need for rollers it would be easier.
Would turning it over on the starter motor without plugs circulate the oil enough?

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
G'day Peter,
I have been using EP/Hypoid oil in the gearbox of my Norvin for 33 years and 200,000+ miles. In that time I have also been using it in My Comet and all other Vincents. No problem has yet arisen because of it.

Phelps.

Howard

VOC Member
Thanks for the help.
If there's anyway I can do this without the need for rollers it would be easier.
Would turning it over on the starter motor without plugs circulate the oil enough?

Hi Dan

I can't see any reason why the starter shouldn't work - not many of us have access to rollers.

I haven't read the threads you listed, but make sure you pour oil into the front inlet and rear exhaust rocker cover - about a cup in each. This wets the rattly bits in the timing chest and ends up in the sump, ready to be returned to the oil tank. If you don't do this, you'll have to wait for the pump to put enough into the sump before you get a flow to the rockers etc and back to the tank.

Don't expect anything more than a glug and a dribble in the oil tank there's no real pressure in the system (see other threads here).

H

danno

Non-VOC Member
Ok thanks
Re. filter element. I was recomended a while ago to use the new cartridge full flow type rather than the felt original.
Have only seen felt and paper types at Vincentspares.co.uk.
Is it possible to renew the cork seal on the fuel taps? Can't see how these come off.
It was mentioned earlier about washer replacement. Any pointers as to which ones to replace would be appreciated.
Dan

Howard

VOC Member
Ok thanks
Re. filter element. I was recomended a while ago to use the new cartridge full flow type rather than the felt original.
Have only seen felt and paper types at Vincentspares.co.uk.
Is it possible to renew the cork seal on the fuel taps? Can't see how these come off.
It was mentioned earlier about washer replacement. Any pointers as to which ones to replace would be appreciated.
Dan

http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffypetroltaps.htm Try here for corks.

For now replace any washers you take off with new, don't disturb anything else.

If I was you, I'd assume for now your Dad knew what he was doing, and replace things like filters with like for like.

You'll develop your own opinions, like the rest of us, and you can "customise" the bike to suit you.

H

danno

Non-VOC Member
Thanks
The filter is probably the one fitted when the bike was restored by Conway motors.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Have drained oil from lower main feed pipe,crankcase drainplug and removed filter which looks like a felt type (petal shape profile)
with an inner cage in the centre.
Doesn't seem to be a great deal of oil that's drained out and I can still see some in the oil tank.
Would it help if I tried to tilt the tank?

danno

Non-VOC Member
Hi
Appreciate the help so far getting the Vin back on the road.
Just about to order filter and washers from Vinparts but not sure if I've drained 6 pints
out.