Series 'A's - You show me yours, and I'll show you mine…

Dinny

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Heres my A, took 4 years to rebuild and to find the impossible parts but it’s finished. It’s a very early Comet, the frame is from the 11th built and it should have a 3oclock sump but it’s fitted with a slightly later engine. Interestingly the engine did not have a frame allocated according to the factory records so who knows.

Attachments

• AD327165-4996-4A6B-92EF-802EFA4748E1.jpeg
    AD327165-4996-4A6B-92EF-802EFA4748E1.jpeg
    711.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 1BE813D9-7963-4133-94F1-387EEED4A51E.jpeg
    1BE813D9-7963-4133-94F1-387EEED4A51E.jpeg
    708.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Marvel

VOC Member
Do yo
Heres my A, took 4 years to rebuild and to find the impossible parts but it’s finished. It’s a very early Comet, the frame is from the 11th built and it should have a 3oclock sump but it’s fitted with a slightly later engine. Interestingply the engine did not have a frame allocated according to the factory records so who knows.
Do you know the number of the engine it was originally fitted with? I’ve got some parts from the bike that had C50. I think I read somewhere the engine numbers started at C35 (1935) so could be closely related to yours.

Dinny

VOC Member
Do yo

Do you know the number of the engine it was originally fitted with? I’ve got some parts from the bike that had C50. I think I read somewhere the engine numbers started at C35 (1935) so could be closely related to yours.
The engine numbers did start at C35, mine should have C45 but it has never turned up. The engine in it is only from a month later and never had a frame allocated if the records are correct.

What parts of C50 do you have.

Thanks
Mark

Marvel

VOC Member
The engine numbers did start at C35, mine should have C45 but it has never turned up. The engine in it is only from a month later and never had a frame allocated if the records are correct.

Thanks
Mark
Frame, forks, swinging arm, oil tank and a shed full of associated worn out bits. So not much really. Dad had parts from four bikes and built two out of the best bits. They were a 35 Comet (frame only), 36 Comet Special (engine only), 37 Meteor and 39 Special Comet.

Last edited:

Marvel

VOC Member
Yes, the frame, forks and swinging arm are from the same bike. Unfortunately the frame is in the 39 Comet and the frame and SS tank for the 39 Comet is in the 37 Meteor which also has the Comet Special engine. The engine for the 37 Meteor is on the bench. If I could get a centre frame I could build another bike and maybe swap parts around.

A_HRD

VOC Member

Thanks
Mark
Mark,
I have it on good authority that there were Comet numbers before C35. As we know, numbers are a matter for Simon; perhaps he will chime in here and say, just for the record, "I'm right" or "I'm wrong"? No more.
Peter