Series A Questions

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
"Arry we run outa rear lights!"
"Ok pop down the local bike shop and get 3 or 4 of whatever they have that will tide us over after all no.one will notice they are more interested in the abdication. Crisis and Hitler"

Clay

Non-VOC Member
Mine was a very light pinky-red colour which was very badly applied and crazed, hence the repaint which started this thread. When I stripped it, the paint was very thick, paint on paint on paint, which was probably the reason for the crazing. Under the first few coats I found a very dark red/maroon patch (my works order says 'red'). I have had some Ford Imperial Maroon mixed and that's what I will be repainting it with. I will post some pictures when finished but, of course, your screen calibration will also affect the colour you see and don't even bother introducing inkjet printing!

I'll post the finished tank but it may be a couple of weeks away due to other commitments and if you think it looks right, then Ford Imperial Maroon is the one to go with.

Incidentally, I have emailed Andrew Walker a few times at seriesa499@voc.uk.com but I never get a reply. Is this the correct address?

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
My color chart has about 1000 different "Maroon's" on it...........Do you think I can pick one the same.......o_O........I know my eye's are not as good as they were, so I'll go and see the paint pro's tomorrow before I fork out and buy some, as the stuff we use is expensive.
Don't know if any of this helps. AZ is a 1960'sFord Europe code. This website lists some modern codes:

https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/colour_swatch_ford_europe_1969

This has a discussion about the same colour and also gives a Ditzler code:
http://www.britbike.com/ubb/bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=004409;p=0

Simon

mercurycrest

VOC Member
In the States '68 Mustang Royal Maroon is readily available... and yes, it was Feb. and a bit nippy.
Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 8.44.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 8.29.12 AM.png

Andy B

Non-VOC Member
So Clay, what colour are you going with for the tank? I have one to paint and am unsure on paint code/name.

Clay

Non-VOC Member
As above, it's Ford Imperial Maroon, I'll post pictures when it's done but it will probably be a few weeks.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
"Arry we run outa rear lights!"
"Ok pop down the local bike shop and get 3 or 4 of whatever they have that will tide us over after all no.one will notice they are more interested in the abdication. Crisis and Hitler"
Exactly. There was probably a lot of "use whats available today to get the bike out the door and complete a sale". Here we are 80 years later trying to analyse what happened on that Thursay ofternoon in 1935.
There is no such thing as a standard Vincent.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Does anyone know if on the pre war bikes handlebar levers, chokes, mag lever.........were these chrome plated or nickel plated finish. And also on the footrests on the later bikes (1939 Comet) use the John Bull type rubbers or were the HRD logo types available back then (like on the post war bikes) throttle and dummy grips........Amal or John Bull........??? Cheers..............Greg.

Albervin

VOC Member
Does anyone know if on the pre war bikes handlebar levers, chokes, mag lever.........were these chrome plated or nickel plated finish. And also on the footrests on the later bikes (1939 Comet) use the John Bull type rubbers or were the HRD logo types available back then (like on the post war bikes) throttle and dummy grips........Amal or John Bull........??? Cheers..............Greg.
John Bull footrest rubbers for rider and pillion. Brake and clutch levers were not "handed" so the clutch lever is an upside down brake lever. Chrome plated levers. Mag is slack wire advance on Comets. Handlebar rubbers 1" Amal. Not sure if ALL Mag and choke levers were AMAL as I have seen Bowden ones as well. Tax disc holder could be DESMO or Miller. Mirror could also be DESMO. Most horns I have seen are Lucas but also seen Clearhooter model 140. Good luck.