Series A Questions

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks Simon, I agree about the changes through the short years as they progressed along. My main observation was the hardware, the studs and other parts on the later single I am doing show very clearly that the surface finish was black and not cadmium or something of a silver like finish. I bought a plating kit that I have tried on the original and the new steel wheel hubs, plus one of the original 1/2 " diameter engine plate studs which I polished up in the lathe first. I will send some pictures on to Stephen and he can post them on here to show the results........Came up very nice, looks very authentic and the blackened stud with cadmium plated BSF nuts on either end looks superb. Cheers...........Greg.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Don't forget though the pre war bikes were truely hand built and fettled with whatever was available at the time used. So be careful taking those photos as correct for all 1935 to 1935 bikes. looking at the oil tank pipe connections I would say they are 1935 to early 1936 bikes in the photos. By 1939 there could have been a lot of changes like a different gearlever which was kinked rather than straight.
If you can get hold of a book called "Vincent-HRD" by Peter Carrick that has a couple of good period close up photos of pre war and post war bikes.
So my straight gearlever may be the real deal ?, We had a few "A"s at the house in the 60s !!. Cheers Bill.

Dinny

VOC Member
Great pictures, thanks for posting them. My guess both bikes are 35's but probability Aug or later.
Interesting how the one with the pillion sat does not have pillion footrests. Is the other rear light a Lucas? If so what type?

Clay

Non-VOC Member
Thanks everyone. Whenever I ask a question it seems that I get more confused :) I think that I'm learning how much is uncertain in the world of early (and not so early) Vincents.
Even supposedly 'original' bikes in historic photos have so many variants and I suppose that's to be expected. After all, it not like 21st century manufacturing with every part specified and costed to standardise production and minimise cost, it seems, especially in the early days, that production was evolving on a weekly basis.
Anyhow, Mercury tank transfer and Miller 35E is the specification I'm going with.

It's funny to think that in another 70 years people could well be looking at old photo's of our bikes and trying decide how original they were!

davidd

VOC Member
It's funny to think that in another 70 years people could well be looking at old photo's of our bikes and trying decide how original they were!

Yes, that is why I thought these photos were useful. Even good restorations my take a few liberties.

More from Stevee:

Meteor.GIF

David

Dinny

VOC Member
Very interesting, that's an earlier 35 bike as it has the extra front mudguard stays, it also has a BTH mag/dyno and a Miller headlight. Mines a May 35 and I think should be just like that one but with the SS/maroon tank and a BTH headlight. Keep the pictures coming if you have any more please.

Anyone have a spare BTH headlight? Worth a chance!

Mark

davidd

VOC Member
This is the last Factory photo in my possession from Stevee. I do have more restored photos, but I thought these should be parsed first. AJH380, below, has seen some use:

AJH380.GIF

I am unable to post the very high density files, so if someone is interested in a close-up I will endeavor to capture the spot and post it. For example, I noticed the front mudguard stay attachment on the originals is not something that you find on the restored bikes:

Front Fender Stay.GIF

David

greg brillus

VOC Member
They are excellent detail pictures. I noticed that on these bikes the footrest hangers are a different shape compared to the later ones (like used on the post war singles) It looks like the early ones had a one piece banjo fitting out of the cambox to feed oil to the rockers.

stevee

VOC Member
The 1939 print of the Vincent Annual Sales Leaflet shows a Meteor with a rear light that look like a 35E but it is not possible to see the rear light on the illustration of the Comet (both have pillion seats)

Singles 1939.png

The 1939 Miller Spare Parts List offers two tail lamps, both complete with bulb and cable - the 35E (1 shilling& 9 pence)and also the 39E (3 shillings & 6 pence) - the difference being the 39E is "Designed specially to illuminate large number plate" - however the List shows the same illustration (R121) for both lamps (and spare bulb holder - spring & pad)

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 01.11.37.png

From the pictures Davidd uploaded it would appear some machines had the 39E even if they were twice the price of the 35E?

There was also a stop lamp available (the 29E) - "similar in design to the 39E. Supplies complete with two bulbs, cables and switch for brake pedal" for 9 shillings & 6 pence! There is of course no reference to a stop light being available in the 1939 catalogue

I find it interesting that all of the photographs and illustrations I have seen show no protrusion of a convex headlamp glass

SteveE

Albervin

VOC Member
And then there were all the options you could have, from a 120mph speedo (instead of 80 mph), 8 day clock, cams, etc.etc.
DSC00215_1.jpg

Obviously the water excluders and side stand are wrong but this bike never had knee rubbers and was originally ordered with the "TT guards" plus 4x cam.

Last edited by a moderator: