H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Security bolt (rim lock) position in wheel

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I've always placed the rim lock above the rim tape, not under it. I use an Exacto knife (avscalpel like hobby knife) to trim out the hole. I've never even considered placing the rim tape over the rim lock. Now I'm wondering. I will say I have come to really despise rim locks though. I'm doing some work on my '66 Triumph Trophy and putting some new AM26 tires on it. Well the Trophy has two rim locks on the rear wheel. What a PAIN. I loathe changing tires when inner tubes are involved. I'm getting better at not pinching the inner tube, but I always am in fear of doing so. I don't know which is worse in my mind, working on car exhausts or changing tires with inner tubes. Two days after mounting the tires soap bubbles are coming out around one of the rim lock bolts. I'm down two psi but that could be because working from home right now I'm constantly checking to see what the pressure is. If a bike has been sitting awhile I always check and top up the tires before riding either the night before or the day of. They always seem to need some air. My '95 Triumph with cast wheels and tubeless tires needs regular attention to the rear tire. I can't find a leak anywhere. Drives me to distraction Anyway just walked out to look at the Comet, no rim lock on that rear wheel. Now I am wondering if they are needed.
Steven

vibrac

VOC Member
I have one bike (GS1150 BMW) with tubeless tyres not only that but its got those unfortunate tyre pressure senders which blinks if its one pound under what der motterad dictate and goes red if it is under by a few (i am supprised it doesn't cut the ignition and ring the thought police ). Point is six days after a pump up and its down again I took it back once to the BMW palace and the bill would keep the Vincent in running costs for 3 months and afterwards it was still the same. Otherwise Its a lovely bike but its still like it thousands of miles later. Worst part is I get it out and after two miles blink blink (Oh no it wont tell you when you get it out of the garage)
I wish it had tubes I can do do tubes, I see Ben do peoples tubeless on his machine its the bit when the pressure goes up and the bead bangs on to the tube makes me wince (of course sometimes it doesn't first time)

oexing

VOC Member
Rim locks may be a nostalgic item on a Vincent, but nothing more. I have never seen them on big BMWs, Ducatis, Laverdas which got some more power than a standard Vincent. Sure, you better have rims with knurled side walls AND use proper tire mounting paste from your local tire company, nothing else that might make the tire slip in use.
Plus for nervous owners you could paint skid marks on tire and rim for checking tire creep like they do in aviation, all tube type wheels on aircraft.
And no, tubes in tubeless tires are NOT totally reliable for less air loss, depends a lot on manufacturer - or luck. I got some wheels on various bikes that need more often air fills than other wheels but cannot tell why. And I do not run no-name tubes at all, guess it is mostly luck.

Vic

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
I have done long distance trials for decades its up to 300 miles with hard compound trials tyres (luckily we can still get them) and its about 100 or more miles before the first difficult off road section there are a lot of sections that follow with road between so at the first section I drop the pressure to 15 lb as I haven't really got the time or energy to keep pumping up and down and I doubt from then on I exceed 40 I have never had a rear puncture but two years ago I thought I would try a heavy duty MX tube result? a blow out!
And as I said that on off road events I do have security bolts (not that I have ever seen tyre creep...)

macvette

Non-VOC Member
I dont have rim locks on my Rapide but when my rear brake drum shattered locking the rear wheel solid at 50 mph, the tyre didnt budge. I run the rear at 30 psi. I realise this was a one off and may not be typical but it leads me to think they superfluous.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
That's not a one off macvette. I blew a gear box once out on the highway. I had just rolled past the ton in third, slipped it into fourth and as it came down to 90+ the back tire locked solid. standing on the footpegs I managed to cross from the lane I was in, across the slow lane and park up on the paved shoulder. Tire did not budge. Other things did. measured a 408 ft (as the crow flies) stripe, probably more like 420 if it was straightened out. After a couple of minutes the smoke cloud drifted away and traffic on the highway resumed its oblivious monotony. The bike and I were rescued. There was likely around 34 in the rear tire Avon super venom 120/90 - 18 on a Buchanan Sun rim.

timetraveller

VOC Member
On the other hand about 55 years ago I had a Rapide with a sidecar, for collecting various bits and pieces. This was long before I had a car. I ripped the valve out of the inner tube when I did not fit a security bolt to the rear tyre. It was probably the old type square section SM tyre.